cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed PSP 8.00A, now SIM showing System Type Unknown

Scott Shockley
Occasional Advisor

Installed PSP 8.00A, now SIM showing System Type Unknown

I recently installed the ProLiant Support Pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Version: 8.00(A) (25 Feb 2008) on a few servers.

I also installed the optional HP Insight Management WBEM Providers using the SIM service account as the Windows User Account to be given WMI access privileges.

Now, SIM us reporting the servers' System Type as Unknown, and the Product Name (server model)is no longer displayed.

When I go to the servers System Management Homepage and check the Settings tab, I no longer see the SNMP & Webagent Settings.

I have checked the SNMP service and it is running. I checked SNMP settings and they are still configured as they should be.

I am using Systems Insight Manager 5.2 - Windows Build version: C.05.02.00.01.

I have tried Repairing the Agent and Identifying the systems with no luck.

How can I resolve this?
7 REPLIES
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

Re: Installed PSP 8.00A, now SIM showing System Type Unknown

Type coming as unknown means something wrong with SNMP and PSP settings. When u discover a system by IP address u can see in task result that it has detected the SNMP on the system or not? U can see this on server system page also on supported protocol. See what all listed.

Looks PSP not installed properly. U can reinstall it once.

Hi Scott,

There is a new setting in the Homepage which needs to be configured.

Click the settings tab.
there you will see "Select SMH Data Source"
Click select

In the new windows you will see which is the datasource, change it to SNMP and you will get the good old settings back. atleast this worked for me.

One other thing that might generate some errors is the VCA. I had to reinstall the VCA after I applied the whole PSP 8.0. then it worked correctly. Second thing with VCA is that you need to configure it otherwise you might end up with System model showing as unkown.

BR
Johan S.
Scott Shockley
Occasional Advisor

Ajay, as I mentioned in the orginal post, I confirmed everything is correctly configured. I configured the PSP before deployment and since this is an upgrade of the HP drivers, they retained all the correct setttings. They were working fine before.

Johan, I think you're on to something. Problem is the SNMP selection is greyed out and I can't select it.

How can I enable it so I can change the Data Source.

Thanks for your help.

Hmm, so you can't select SNMP at the WBEM/SNMP page? strange.

Same here, I did an upgrade and had the PSP configured with the correct settings, still it choose WBEM..somehow.

But back to you problem.

At first thought, I would check if snmp still is installed on the server, it's a long shot but worth just checking since it's greyed out and stranger things has happened while installing software ;)

hmm, can't think of anything else to check atm...will come back if I think of something else to check and verify.

BR
Johan S.
Scott Shockley
Occasional Advisor

Yes, SNMP is installed and configured the same as it was before and since we also using other SNMP monitoring software that is still communicating with the servers, I am confident it's working properly.

I am using SIM 5.2 with SP1 and am looking through the documentation and menu options to see if I can find a way to change the data source from SIM.

Trying to repair the agents didn't help.

Hey Scott

I think I have your anwser.

I had same problem, and took a brief look in the event log, where I found this.

Component: Foundation SNMP Agent
Error: The Foundation SNMP Agent service is not running.
Cause: The agent has determined that the Foundation Agent service is not running. Stop the SNMP service and restart the Foundation Agents service. If the error persists, reinstalling the Management Agents may correct this error.

I went to servics and found that the Foundation Agent wasent running.

Startet it up and refreshed the System Management Homepage and I was now able to choose SNMP and data source.

Hope this solves your problem.

Hey Scott

Just found another issue that might also be related to same problem.

Follow this link.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1212090

This tanks you to a thread about Faulting application cqmghost.exe Version 8.0.0.0

Seems there are two options.

Go back to HP Management Agents running version 7.91

or

Go to the management agents in the control panel and under the services tab move "Performance Monitoring" from the active agents to the inactive agents.

Hope this helps.