108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing HP agents on ESX3.5 with hpmgmt.conf

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ken Herrington
Occasional Advisor

Installing HP agents on ESX3.5 with hpmgmt.conf

I am trying to get my HP agents (v8.10) installed on a few DL580g5 boxes running VMWare ESX 3.5. I have been running the install using the "--silent --inputfile hpmgmt.conf" switches, supplying the .conf file, but the install never seems to work this way. If I install the agents and configure the snmpd.conf manually, I can get all of my info (on the homepage) and traps to my SIM server. However, if I use the conf file, I get a blank homepage and no traps. What is really strange is that when I look at the snmpd.conf after the silent install, there are no changes; the install does not appear to be writing anything to the configuration. Am I missing something? Here is the text of my hpmgmt.conf file:

export CMASILENT="YES"
export CMANOSTARTINSTALL="hpasmd"
export CMALOCALHOSTRWCOMMSTR=
export CMALOCALHOSTROCOMMSTR=
export CMAMGMTSTATIONRWIPORDNS=127.0.0.1
export CMAMGMTSTATIONRWCOMMSTR=
export CMAMGMTSTATIONROIPORDNS=
export CMAMGMTSTATIONROCOMMSTR=
export CMADEFTRAPCOMMSTR=
export CMATRAPDESTINATIONCOMMSTR=
export CMATRAPDESTINATIONIPORDNS=
export CMASYSCONTACT=
export CMASYSLOCATION=
export CMAAGENTEXCLUDESTR=cpqci (disabling this to bypass the mgmt proc)
export ENABLEHPIMPORT=Y
export ENABLEHP_SIMPORT=Y
export ENABLESNMPSERVICE=Y
export ENABLESIMCERTPORT=Y

Am I doing something wrong? Some of these may be overkill, but I am tryig to find the right hpmgmt.conf settings to formalize my install process. Also, install was done as root...
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Installing HP agents on ESX3.5 with hpmgmt.conf

The main differences between what you have and mine are:
I've left all of the comments in.
I do not have the items:
export CMAMGMTSTATIONRWIPORDNS=127.0.0.1
export CMAMGMTSTATIONRWCOMMSTR=

I don't use export CMAAGENTEXCLUDESTR=

Where was the file edited? I've seen issues where files are edited on say a Windows box and then copied across cause issues.
Ken Herrington
Occasional Advisor

That could very well be it. I re-created the file a couple different times, but all on Windows boxes. I saw another post on VMWare's forumes that referenced WordWrap, but that wasn't it either. I'll try to edit it inside EXS and see how that goes. Thanks!
Ken Herrington
Occasional Advisor

That was exactly it, Rob, don't know why that enver occurred to me... I re-created the hpmgmt.conf with the vi editor inside of ESX and it works like a charm. Thanks!
Ken Herrington
Occasional Advisor

DO NOT Edit the hpmgmt.conf file on a Windows box!
Umesh Bhatta
Advisor

Hi ken,
I am also new inHP IM Agent configuration on WMware ESX can you please help me? I have my HP SIM on windows machine and by utilizing this I wanna configure HP IM Agent on WMware ESX 4.0 server is it possible?
can you please tell me what is the and in above configuration. If possible please send me whole hpmgmt.conf file.

Actually we have whole system on windows we are now migrating it on VMware ESX 4.0