1752569 Members
5046 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Integrate Power Module management in HPSIM

Ferry Steenvoorde
Valued Contributor

Integrate Power Module management in HPSIM

I have some racks with enclosures for BL20p and BL40p's. All the Management modules are interlinked, and the entire rack shows up correctly in HPSIM.
The power modules (HP BladeSystem p-Class 3U Power Enclosure) report firmware (2.20) and temperature, but only after implementing the MIB upgrade package 7.40 on the HPSIM-server.

Now my question. What do I have to do to get status information and enclosure inventory from those Power Enclosures? I got something working for one (see attached picture) but I have ten of them and do not know why it works (partially) for one of them and not for the rest.
6 REPLIES 6
RobSmith
Frequent Advisor

when you hover over the blank power supply slots, does it say that they are empty? I get the same issue with mine. Havent figured it out yet.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

The information that HP SIM uses to construct the rack view comes to it from the iLO processors in each blade via an XML document. If all iLO firmware versions are not alike, it can cause problems. In all of your iLO configurations, make sure the XML response is set to 'high' if it is available (the option isn't available in more recent versions of the firmware). The latest firmware is version 1.82.

Go into one or more iLOs in your rack and go to the p-Class tab and look at the rack view. If it isn't being drawn correctly there then iLO can't describe it properly to HP SIM.

There were some limited number of power enclosures that were shipped with a trailing space in their name from the factory and that can cause errors in parsing.

You don't mention what version of HP SIM you are using. It should be HP SIM 5.0. In addition to other goodies, HP SIM 5.0 contains a major update to the BladeSystem Integrated Manager that may be the source of your problems if you are down-rev.
RobSmith
Frequent Advisor

Im using SIM 5.0, and all blades in the enclosures are on ilo 1.82

Ferry Steenvoorde
Valued Contributor

I'm using:
-HPSIM 5.0 (new install, no upgrade from lower versions)
-ILO firmware 1.82 on all servers
-Enclosure firmware 2.20 on all enclosures

When I'm looking on the ILO-board/Rack View, I can see all enclosures including what's in it. I can also see all power units in the Power Enclosures. I cannot see them in HPSIM.

Is there any tool to change the Enclosure Name from the Power Enclosures, just to avoid the problem with the "trailing space" in the enclosure name?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

"When I'm looking on the ILO-board/Rack View, I can see all enclosures including what's in it. I can also see all power units in the Power Enclosures."

Is that from one iLO or have you checked from multiple ones?

I believe the method to change the name requires connecting to the serial port and logging in.
Ferry Steenvoorde
Valued Contributor

I installed HPSIM 5 SP3 yesterday. While the statusses of the Power Enclosures are still (?)(blue dot), I can now see all Power Suppy Units inside the enclosures. Most probably the MIBS for reading out the Rack and Enclosure statusses have been upgraded in SP3.

For good cosmetics, any new MIBS for Rack and Enclosure statuses should include the Power Enclosure health status, but for now my problem with monitoring the Power Supply Units is solved.