1748150 Members
3778 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is a VCRM server really necessary?

Joe Brouillette
Occasional Contributor

Is a VCRM server really necessary?

Hey all, do I really need a SIM server running a VCRM? I'm looking for a different solution due to mxdomainmgr.exe growing too large. It consumes way too many CPU and Memory resources. I've tried deleting the service on the server but it gets recreated and grows back very quickly. I can reboot the server but then the server is inaccessible for almost an hour while mxdomainmgr.exe sets up house. I've read that I can point my VCAs directly at the HP web site but I can't find any documentation on how to do that. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks,

Joe B
7 REPLIES 7
Pete2010
Frequent Advisor

What server type (hardware wise) are you running it on? how much memory does it have? What version of SIM are you running? on what O/S? Typically each managed device, you can configure the VCA to point (with pre-configured credentials) to your SIM server. Is it setup that way now? Also, how many devices does your sim server have? I belive it should support up to 5000.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

The VCRM is a separate process and can be installed on a server other than the SIM Server. I'm not aware of being able to point the VCA's directly to the HP site though. They point to a VCRM where they need credentials.
I would verify you're on the latest versions and that you have a server (virtual or physical) large enough to handle the job.

Joe Brouillette
Occasional Contributor

Ok, here are my server specifics:

**SIM software**
Central management server:
Hostname: srv-SIM.domain.com
Operating system: Windows 2003R2
Version: Systems Insight Manager 6.0 - Windows
Build version: C.06.00.00.00
Build date: 2010-03-13 11:43
Patches:
User name: administrator
--------------------------------
**Server**
ProLiant DL380 G4
Single Xeon 3.2GHz
4 gigs RAM
340 gigs w/227 free
**Large Processes**
mxdomainmgr.exe 900MB
SQL 1.2GB
**Primary Programs**
SIM
SolarWinds Orion NPM
**Current memory stats**
Commit Charge 3764048
Physical Memory 3669472

You can see by my memory stats that I'm into paging again. Yeah, I can reboot the server but then I lose continuity of data for the Orion software and the boot process is almost an hour. In a perfect world I'd have the SIM and Orion on separate servers but my budget won't support that. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe B

Pete2010
Frequent Advisor

Typically the Pagefile is used when no available memory is available. I see your app. Solarwinds has SQL, SIM has SQL. check to see your memory requirements for your app: http://www.solarwinds.com/support/Orion/docs/ReleaseNotes/releaseNotes.htm

Our SIM server runs fine with 2500 objects with local SQL 2005 and 4 gig of memory on an older DL-570G3 server.

Add memory, change pagefile to be the recommended and tweak SQL

Ideally when using SQL, your not suppose to use the pagefile.

If you know perfmon, check Pagefile % usage, SQLServer Buffer Manager-Page life expectancy and SQLServer:memory manager-memory Grants pending (if this value is 1 or more- you need more memory)

Also sec per read and sec per write, Must be under 30ms, you'll know if this is at 100 or above, there is a disk subsystem issue. You know, Update the firmware on the physical drives and controllers, then have the latest drivers.

there is a bunch of other SQL permon counters, but you should know after this, in your case, looks like more HP Memory :)
Joe Brouillette
Occasional Contributor

Pete2010, since this is a 32-bit server will SQL be able to see any memory above the ~3.5 gig limit? No, I'm not a SQL guy, and yeah I could probably Google this and get a bunch of different replies but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks,

Joe B
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Unless things have changed 4GB is the limit for Windows Std 32 bit. You need Enterprise to go above that. 64 Bit does not have the same limitation and is therefore a much better option for servers needing more memory. Bit of a double hit though as the apps need more memory.
Pete2010
Frequent Advisor

Joe, Rob is right. You can squeeze out some more with the /3GB switch in boot.ini

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316739

Sorry

Pete