Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1751722 Members
5529 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is there a simple documentation which show the concept of notification in SIM 5.0?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jimmy Rueedi
Frequent Advisor

Is there a simple documentation which show the concept of notification in SIM 5.0?

Hi all

We are setting up SIM 5.0 with SP4 intending to replace our best-proven Compaq Insight Manager 5.20, which we are running since 1997 (or so).

Now we are not sure, if we understand (or are able to understand) the notification concept behind.

Our Idea is to notify by eMail and SMS to the whole team while office-hours and the responsible persons and its deputy outside of office hours by eMail, SMS and Paging.
I think its a quite simple thing, but i didn't found any notification configuration.

So we are searching for a quick-and-dirty concept which enables us to understand how to do this in HP SIM 5.0.

Best regards and thanks

Jimmy
10 REPLIES 10
Wim Panhorst
Advisor
Solution

Re: Is there a simple documentation which show the concept of notification in SIM 5.0?

Hi Jimmy,

You'll find it well described in the HP Systems Insight Manager Technical Reference Guide from November 2005, edition 4.0.

Nice reading.

Wim
Jimmy Rueedi
Frequent Advisor

Hello Wim

I tried hardly to understand most of those 769 pages of this reference but, unfortunately I seemed to be to dumb to find the relevant pages or combination of chapters to drill out the needed steps to reach my target.
What are the dependencies of collections, authorisations, systems, events, end so on.
we just have some simple combinations in mind (according to our knowledge of Compaq Insight Manager 5.20) to assign systems and personnel.

Do you have any suggestions which chapter I can drill out the concept? (keep in mind that I'm not english- mothertongued ;-) )

Best regards

Jimmy

P.s: yes, it's a very nice reading, indeed...
Wim Panhorst
Advisor

Hi Jimmy,

Yes, it is a lot of reading, but I found it worthwhile. Most of it you probable can skip initially.

I suggest you start your reading with "About administering events", on page 506. At some point you will get an idea of e-mail/page/sms settings and tasks. Then, on page 533, HP gives a few examples you can try.

Regards, Wim
Jimmy Rueedi
Frequent Advisor

Hi Wim

Thanks for the update. I re-readed those parts of the reference (maybe the third or fourth time). One question still remains:
How can I manage, that while out of office time filter only the responsible persons are notified about an event?

Regards

Jimmy
Stephen Ryan_1
Occasional Contributor

Two automatic event handling tasks, and two distribution lists.

1st one with the office-hours time filter emails to the whole team distribution list you have set up on your mail server ;-).

2nd one with the after-hours time filter emails the smaller distribution list, plus pages them, plus I guess the SMS you'd create via a custom command. Microsoft SMS Sender <> might work.

Jimmy Rueedi
Frequent Advisor

Hi Stephen

Thanks for assistance.

I know, my english is not the best, but I don't know hav to tell more clearly what we try to configure...

Simple example:
I'd like to build system collections according to persons (each persons has its own systems plus the systems he's deputy for)
according to those relations I'd like do get the notifications. Unfortunately the System Collections are not available while creating (only "system name" can be selected and since we have around 130 systems to deploy, it would be a huge effort to set up those notifications (and maintaining, too)

I think now I eliminated all clarity....

Best regards and thanks in advance

Jimmy
Stephen Ryan_1
Occasional Contributor

I'm guessing something like this will work...

On the "Systems and Events" panel at left, choose "Customize...", then "Show: Events"
Choose the "New.." button
Create a new collection for each of your separate groups/people - keep it simple.

"Choose members by attributes"

New Collection

Search for events
where system name is SERVER01
AND
where system name is SERVER02
AND
etc etc
AND
severity is warning
AND
severity is critical

Now you can choose this collection when you set up your event handling task for your people.

This was REALLY dificult with IM 7, it's still not great, I don't know if there's a better way anybody?
Jimmy Rueedi
Frequent Advisor

Hi Stephen

Thanks for the update.
Unfortunately, this is the way I found until now, and also, the way I don't like very much, becaus there is a huge amount of work to do for and maintaining thos targets is not quite simple...

I would prefer to get a tool just like building a system list, which can be maintained much easier than an event collection which contains all the systems uniquely (And by the way: isn's there a limitation around 100 systems? Page 539 of the technical reference guide)

Regards Jimmy
Jimmy Rueedi
Frequent Advisor

Well, after reading all the documentations and playing around with HP SIM I found the following way:
Builded Systems Collection for each employee of our department according to responsabilities and created an event task for each employee.

So I can cover all wishes and it is only one time a hard work.

Thanks all for your inputs!

Regards Jimmy