cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to clear out all the servers in the SIM database

Mike Barfield
Occasional Visitor

Is there a way to clear out all the servers in the SIM database

I would like to clear out all the servers in the SIM database and start over. I do not care if I lose historical data (events or inventory). After clearing the database, I am planning to add the servers back from a host file, but I am concerned about having the management cards (iLOs) re-associate with the servers (as currently they are not) and have also had problems with the 'non-primary' IP address being the main IP address. I was also wondering if I could get SIM to use fully qualified domain names as the network names for the servers (especially when auto-adding as I think I can fix the ones I am adding via the host file).
6 REPLIES
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a way to clear out all the servers in the SIM database

Depends on what other config info you want to keep.
Almost sounds like a new install might be the way to go. You could take the opportunity to upgrade at the same time perhaps.
Otherwise you could highlight all of the devices and then just hit the delete key.
Mike Barfield
Occasional Visitor

To answer the question as to what config we need to keep, we have extensive tasks for alerting that I would prefer to not have to type back in as it is tedious.

To answer about deleting the server/devices, I have already tried highlighting and deleting them, but when the system are re-discovered or they are added back in, all the old and inaccurate information (bad IPs, wrong linked iLOs, ...) come back with it. I am guess that information is not being deleted from the database when the server/device is deleted. That is mainly what I would like to delete.
Mike Barfield
Occasional Visitor

For the response on the database query, I take it you mean to run that directly against the SQL database? If so, will that not orphan any of the other entries in the other tables (which I think is what is causing my issue)? Or, is there a way to clean that up as well?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

What do you mean by Bad IPs? Are these servers with multiple IP Addresses or NICs?

HPSIM just uses DNS to resolve names, so I'm not too sure how you would get bad IPs.

For servers with dual NICs / IP Addresses I just enter one of the addresses into the discovery exclusion list.
Mike Barfield
Occasional Visitor

What I mean by bad IPs are IPs that HPSIM say belong to that system when in fact they do not. So, HPSIM is listing IPs that are not in use (but may have at one time been on that system, we have a tendency to shuffle around IPs here), or worse yet, the IPs belong to other systems, so HPSIM will not add a new systems for them and just combines the date for the two systems. When I try to add it manually, it reports that the IP is already in the system. And, if I delete out the systems that have the bad IPs, when it re-adds them, it still has the bad IPs. So, I am guessing that it is still in the database somewhere after I delete the system.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Mike: this is surely a sign of a very badly broken DNS on your network.