Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748282 Members
4036 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is there a way to suppress duplicate events that occur on the same node?

devdevil85
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to suppress duplicate events that occur on the same node?

For example,

1. Machine X reports to SIM that Event A has occurred.

2. A ticket is then created to fix the issue, but will take a few days to perform the fix.

3. Machine X continues reporting Event A minute-by-minute to SIM.

4. The list grows to a ridiculous amount of unneeded, unnecessary proportion.

Is there a way to avoid this by suppressing (for a certain amount of time) duplicate events that occur on the same node(s) after the first event has been reported?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Short answer is no, this is not a feature of HP SIM. However, generally speaking, you shouldn't be getting repeating events. When an event happens (e.g. hard disk failure) only 1 SNMP trap or WBEM indication is sent. It does not continue to get sent until the situation is corrected.
BNewby
Frequent Advisor

David,

That sounds like a great feature to add to SIM, can we make an enhancement request for this?

Thanks
Dan Gough
Occasional Advisor

Afternoon,

Sounds like a great idea, we have an issue on some blades due to a firmware issue which repeats an overheat then repaired error every 1-2 minutes, however the servers are critical and downtime cannot be scheduled for some time to perform a mass firmware update required to overcome the problem. This would keep things real until it's possible :o

Cheers
devdevil85
Occasional Contributor

David,

SIM continues to report even after the first wave of events come in. I have multiple examples that I could show you. Most of these issues are related to battery failure issues where the first one comes in, I assign a service record # to it to have the battery fixed (this takes some time since the server has to be scheduled for downtime) and then it continues to (every 5 minutes or so) send duplicate events telling me of the issue. I just want to suppress these "duplicate" events until the work has been complete.