7431 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Is there any useful documentation about the DB Structure in HP SIM5.x

Jimmy Rueedi
Frequent Advisor

Is there any useful documentation about the DB Structure in HP SIM5.x

Hello out there

Now, after migrating to 5.1, we have some time to sit back and whatching at other possibilities, HP SIM (may could) provide(s).

Browsing through the tables in den HP SIM Database (we are using SQ2k5 as Backend) I found a table named "deviceCustomAttributes"

I searched about two days for some infos about this table (with no result), now I hope her in is someone who can tell me, where the data can be filled into this table or if it is for "customers free use".

We are interested in collectiong Informations about the responsible and his deputy for the devices we are managing with HP SIM.

Further Information about the db design in the SIM- Database is welcome (there are no constraints, so which table depends on wich and so on...)

Regards

Jimmy
2 REPLIES 2
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Is there any useful documentation about the DB Structure in HP SIM5.x

Information about the database schema is available in the online help in HP SIM and also the HP SIM User Guide (http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim --> Information Library). I don't recall a table named deviceCustomAttributes and it is not in the current documentation, so it may have been a table that is deprecated (no longer in use) that is still in place for compatibility reasons.

In general, no part of the HP SIM database should be considered writable as that could serious mess up the working of the application. If you want to build off of what is there, open the HP SIM db read only and use it as keys to reference to whatever extended database and tables you want to build separately.
Jimmy Rueedi
Frequent Advisor

Re: Is there any useful documentation about the DB Structure in HP SIM5.x

Hi david

Thanks for your answer.
We installed SIM5.1 from scratch and migrated from CIM 5.7 by hand (complete new install.
The table exists and it is pretty empty.
So, I wondered, where the application is, which fills data in this table...

The point to not write into the database directly is copied ;-) I'm an Oracle / M$ SQL DB Spec and think, I know what to do on a application Database, and what not to do...

Although we are in the need to assign every device with an owner and a deputy and if HP SIM provides this capability, I'm not charged to develop something new...
Another Idea is to file the maintenance and outage details. Here also, if there is something we could use out of the box, we have not to reinvent the wheel.

Regards Jimmy