4975 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is this possible - two SIM servers

Stu Pittwood
Occasional Advisor

Is this possible - two SIM servers

Hi all,

Is it possible to have two SIM servers, so that servers on site A report to the SIM server in site A, servers in site B report to the SIm server in site B and have the two servers talk to each other so that both servers maintain an up to date list of servers/statuses

Does this make sense?

Stu
3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Matthews_3
Occasional Advisor

Are they on separate subnets? If so - it seems it would be fairly easy, limiting your discovery to just that subnet. OR if site A is in a specific (static) IP range of X.X.X.1-100 and Site B was x.x.x.101-250.
Patrick Matthews_3
Occasional Advisor

You could also configur the agents in Site A to only accepet SNMP packets from SiteASimServer and send SNMP packet to SiteASimServer, do the same for SiteB. the other possibility is configuring a hosts file for each SiteServer. There are a number of different option under the Options->Discovery that can help you do this
Greg Bates
Advisor

HP just published some documentation on using two SIM servers in a disaster recovery situation. Sort of like an active/active configuration. With each server taking care of it's own site until connection is lost, then one server can handle both. I might try it out when I finish upgrading both my servers to 5.1... On Friday.

http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/hpsim_51_CreatingAnEventHandler.pdf