1748209 Members
2888 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is upgrade to HPSIM 5.1 imperative?

NewKidd2
Frequent Advisor

Is upgrade to HPSIM 5.1 imperative?

I have been looking at the frequent problems being reported by those upgrading to HPSIM 5.1. Now, I know that only this new version supports the new Daylight Savings Time (DST) changes. So, I have two questions...

1.) Is upgrading to HPSIM 5.1 really a must (especially in light of all the issues reported)?

2.) How will the DST issues affect those who choose to wait until "a more stable" version is released?
8 REPLIES 8
Ed Welch_1
Occasional Advisor

I have the same question. We are still running the original 5.00 version, which is occasionally quirky but functions well monitoring 550 servers. I have tried upgrading (using a cloned server and copy of the SQL database) to two or three of the 5.0x updates and found various problems, such as most of our VM guests disappearing or being mis-identified. If the only issue with not upgrading is a one hour offset to the time stamp of events for two weeks - I can live with that. The SIM server and the SQL server are both 2003 and patched. Also - does anyone know if patching Java (the install within SIM folder) would be an advantage?
Joel Rubenstein
Honored Contributor

You can not patch the java version embedded with SIM as each specific release of SIM is designed to work with a specific version of java.

If you cannot upgrade to HP Systems Insight Manager to v5.1 by the March 11th start date, the core features of HP Systems Insight Manager will continue to work. The issues that you will end up encountering are that your scheduled tasks may be an hour off. As events are received, their received time in HP SIM may be an hour off in the graphical interface. There is no way to correct the received time within HP SIM for events. As soon as practical, upgrade to HP SIM 5.1 so that the November transition will be handled correctly
Ed Welch_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, Joel. Our scheduled tasks, such as daily device identification, all run early in the morning, and an hour difference won't matter. I will have to live with the logged event time being off an hour, and adjust for it when needed.
I will probably try v 5.1 at some point (on a clone of the prod system) - but it will only be useable if the problems introduced in previous updates, particularly related to VM's, have been fixed. Even without these issues, this is a full install, with downtime, etc.
HP should provide a patch to correct the time issue, without a complete new version install being required, such as can be done with any stand-alone Java installation.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

The upgrade process seems to have caused a few issues.
I went for the approach of removing HPSIM 5.0 and the associated PMP and VMM products.
Secure the old HPSIM database as I can still access that via ODBC to get access to Historical data.
I'd saved details of discovery inclusion and exclusion ranges, events handling tasks, users etc. And also I use an XML file to reload licenses and a bat file to update wbem characteristics for VM servers.

The installation of HPSIM 5.1 for a new install went with no errors and VM's etc. were discovered and married up as soon as the VMHosts were licensed and registered.
NewKidd2
Frequent Advisor

I took a chance (and lost) by trying to perform in-place upgrade form 5.0 to 5.1. Everything seemed OK, but after the upgrade, HPSIM kept failing to run my Custom Commands, which integerate HPSIM w/ our Help Desk system.

I also deleted the tasks, and recreated them but that did not work. I even had our expert VB person go over the scripts, just to make sure that there was no incompatible scripts.

So, after several hours of confusion and frustration, I removed HPSIM and installed 5.1. Fortunately, I had previously saved all my customizations and config settings. But, an upgrade that should have taken 1 - 2 hours, ended up taking 6 hours. After the new install, the same Custom Commands began working w/o issues.

In short, I am another one who is very unsatisfied w/ the upgrade install provided in this new version of HPSIM. HP engineers, take heed to all these concerns and complaints. We love HPSIM, but want to keep loving it.
Ed Welch_1
Occasional Advisor

As expected, not upgrading to v5.1 caused the time stamp in our events to be 1 hour behind, starting Sunday morning, so I decided to investigate the Java implementation a bit further. I found that there is a fairly standard Java installation in "c:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\j2re\bin". I stopped SIM, made a copy of the whole SIM folder for safety, then copied the Sun Java patch "tzupdater.jar" into it, and ran the version test, followed by the update, successfully. Upon restarting SIM, the time was correct, and SIM has been working fine.
BimmVerg

Ed Welch, may I ask how you did a version test, then updated, after dropping the "tzupdater.jar" into the directory you mentioned ? thanks!
Ed Welch_1
Occasional Advisor

Just saw your question...
The syntax for the java update utility to check the current java version is "java -jar tzupdater.jar -V". To perform the update itself is "java -jar tzupdater.jar -u" Running without the final switch displays all of the options. "java" is tha already present java executable.