1753925 Members
9096 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: It's supported but it's not supported

JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

It's supported but it's not supported

Hey all, I'm trying to update the VCA software from within VCA on an ML350 G3 and I'm getting the following conflicting error:

Determining component installation state...
- Is operating system supported... Yes
-Snip-

The software is not supported for installation on this system.

If the OS is supported and if I'm updating software that's already installed, what am I missing here? FWIW I'm trying to upgrade from v2.2.0.820 to 2.2.1.830 on the server and the PSP is v7.60A.

Thanks,

Joe B
14 REPLIES 14
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

All I can think of is that VCA is supported (obviously) but that version 2.2.1.830 is not supported by the version of your System Management Homepage.
Try upgrading system management homepage 1st.
JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

Hi Adrian, I checked the versions for SMH and found the following:

Current version on server: 2.1.15.210
Current version available: 2.1.10.186 (C)

How can I have a version on my server that is newer than the version on the HP web site?

Thanks,

Joe B
JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

Here's some additional text from farther down in the error message:

Unable to determine whether the operating system is Server or Workstation -- installation aborted.

Installation will not continue.

The operation was not successful.
Abell Romo
Occasional Advisor

Any solution yet?

I'm having the same issue on a DL360 G5 running Win 2000, trying to upgrade Version Control Agent 2.2.2.835 to 6.0.0.840.
JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

Abell Romo, I never was able to get the VCA software updated on this server. I quit trying because I'm going to pull this server from production--it's not an issue any longer. If I figure anything out I'll post it here but I won't be actively searching any more.

I wish you luck,

Joe B
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

It's recommended to update the entire PSP as they're tested bundles. Trying to add the latest agents on top of old drivers will result in unpredictable behaviour.

What is the actual OS that you're trying to install on?
Rancher
Honored Contributor

According to HP's driver site, this version of the VCA is not supported for a DL360 G5 running 2000. I only have two servers left running 2000 and I have kept them at PSP 7.60A
JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

Hmmm... I was running 2000 on my server that was having the problem. SO, even though the first part of the error message says that the OS is supported, the second part that says it's NOT supported is the correct part. I now see that I missed putting that little tidbit in my original post. Thanks for the clarification.

Joe B
Lars Bornich
Frequent Advisor

The funny part is though, that the Version Control Agent itself reports as outdated when checking against a VCRM that contains VCA v2.2.1 or higher. The VCA package should contain a string that would not allow it to report back to a Windows 2000 OS requesting version info.