cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest version of HPSIM

Dean_62
Advisor

Latest version of HPSIM

I've been given the opportunity to start a new HPSIM server. The client I am working for also has two IBM SANs (DS4000 series) and 4 Cisco Switches they want HPSIM to monitor.

What Plugins do I need to purchase to ensure I can monitor these two SANs? I'm specifically concerned about DETAILED hardware alerts. Performance alerts are secondary, but not neccesary.
2 REPLIES
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Latest version of HPSIM

HP SIM uses the industry-standard SMI-S (Storage Management Initiative Specification, a derivative of WBEM) protocol for SAN management. HP SIM will receive alerts with whatever detail is sent. This is a basic HP SIM capability and does not require any plug-ins or purchased licenses. Just make sure the devices you want covered have the appropriate SMI-S providers available for them.
Dean_62
Advisor

Re: Latest version of HPSIM

Thanks for the informaiton. I've reviewed the Introduction to SMI-S for HP Systems Insight Manager pdf. However, it doesn't seem clear on a couple things.

Is it okay to install the SMI-S provider on the HPSIM management box, or do they two need to be on seperate servers/hosts?

Is there more documentation in regards to getting the SMI-S installed and configured for HP SIM?

Thanks for the help.