1748255 Members
3925 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Liking HPSIM 5.2 to SQL troubles

Quitchy
Advisor

Liking HPSIM 5.2 to SQL troubles

I'm attempting to link a new install of HPSIM 5.2 to an MS SQL 2000 box we have, however when I attempt to validate I get the error "The specified account credentials are invalid." Yet these are the same Windows credentials we use to setup all our databases in the default instance.

I've double-checked the permissions on the SQL server and BUILTIN/Administrators has the System Administrators role, and the account in question is part of domain admins which are in turn part of the builtin administrators group.

What are the next steps I should take? Is there any additional log information I can check to see why this process thinks the account does not have the necessary permissions?
12 REPLIES 12
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

If I remember correctly, there are two credentials you need to provide (someone correct me if I am wrong).

I think one is used to actually install the product, and hence needs system admin rights to SQL. The other account is what the HP services will run under to "run SIM" and talk to the databases, and I believe the installer "gives" this account the correct permissions in SQL to the database and such.

These two accounts might be one in the same - I guess that is up to you.

So when you are getting this error, for which of the above two accounts are you getting it for?

Nelson
Quitchy
Advisor

This is the first set of credentials and appears to be for establishing a connection to the instance and creating the database. I use a domain admin account to do this, and if I fire up the SQL Management Studio from my workstation using this account, I am able to connect to the instance and create and delete databases, but the installer is complaining the credentials are invalid. Oddly, I've found that it registers this same complaint if I choose to Install and Use a local SQL Express setup. It installed SQL Express, but then fails to connect.

I have verified the account has administrator permissions on both machines.
Quitchy
Advisor

As the SQL server is using a default instance, I believe I should be selecting to choose my own instance, then leaving the field blank.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Can you send a screenshot of the page where you are providing your information? Scratch out any personal info...

Nelson
Quitchy
Advisor

Well since it's all personal info I've just filled in the type of information I would be entering.

Username: A domain admin account
Password: Account's password
Domain: The Windows 2000 domain shorthand
Host: Name of MS SQL 2000 server
Instance name: Blank, using default instance
Port: Verified as 1433.

Error Title: Install Shell
Error description: The specified database account credentials are invalid.

As stated though, using the SQL Server Management Studio from SQL 2005 I can connect to the SQL 2000 instance using the specified account and create and delete a database.
Quitchy
Advisor

I also tried the "Existing instance" MSSQLSERVER but received the same error.

Neither the SQL logs, nor the Windows security logs, hold any information regarding this authentication failure, or even the connection attempt.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Man, that is strange....Firewall?

I personally have SQL 2000 installed on the same box as SIM, but that should not matter.

Nelson
Quitchy
Advisor

Afraid not, both machines are on the internal network, going back to the same switch even, no firewall (not even software) between them.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

And "DOMAIN\Windows_Account" (from your screenshot) defintely has full "god" rights on your SQL server and SQL database?

I guess call HP and see what they have to say.

Nelson