108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Linux VCA and online ROM Flash files

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Wolf_2
Advisor

Linux VCA and online ROM Flash files

Most of the servers that I am monitoring are Linux (SuSE) servers. I have two windows servers in the mix. When you look at the VCA information in a windows server it shows you the latest Online ROM Flash files. When you down load the windows online ROM Flash files all you have to do is drop them into the repository. They show up on the host vca as a newer update. Of course this file is a *.exe file which is native to windows.

How do I get the *.shexe files for Linux to show up in the repository. I have a feeling I missed something.
12 REPLIES 12
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Mark,
Right now, the Linux firmware components are not supported through the Linux VCA/VCRM, only PSP-type components. We know of this hole in our support story and are working to close it.

Until then, you will need to use the SIM scripting capabilities or the remote iLO virtual CD support to send down the Linux components and/or Firmware CD to have the Linux ROM components installed on the target servers.

Michael Garner
HP PSP/Firmware deployment development
Mark Wolf_2
Advisor

Michael
Thank you for the information. Any Idea when this might be resolved. I have 30 Linux servers and 22 more coming.....It would make my life a great deal easier if this worked.
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Mark,
We hope to have this support available towards the middle of next year. The work is being coordinated between several different teams so the exact release date hasn't been finalized.
Tristan Zondag
Advisor

What is the status of Linux firmware support in VCA/VCR?

It would save me a lot of manual firmware loads indeed.

Regards,
Mark Wolf_2
Advisor

Michael

Thank you for the information. Any idea where I might find a script that would serve as an example?

Mark
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

And with luck that may extend to VMWare ESX which is Linux based.

Good to know it's being developed as it really makes life a lot easier on the Windows side.
Kevin Masaryk
Occasional Advisor

Has this been implemented yet or did HP drop the ball on it?
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Kevin,
No, we haven't dropped the ball. The deployment of .scexe files through the Linux VCA almost finished. Right now, the release dates are not set for 2007, but support of deploying system ROM, iLO/iLO2/RILOE II ROM, smart array controllers, some SAS online hard drives, NIC firmware, probably c-class enclosure firmware and others should be available by mid-year 2007.

We've had numerous issues that we've had to work through with everything from the firmware components not having standardized return codes to inconsistent use of the force option for different types of firmware, detection of shared storage (ie clustered environments) plus upgrading all the underlying tools to support firmware plus ensuring that all the changes we make will be backward compatible. Development is finally winding down and the enhancements should be going into test soon.

In the short-term, you can use the firmware CD 7.60 to script a remote deployment of firmware by using the HP Smart Update Manager (HPSUM) product found in the /compaq/swpackages directory on the CD. The users guide found in /compaq/docs explains the command-line parameters that can be used (normally the -s (silent) option is used). Combined with ssh, this can provide a way to remotely script firmware until the integration work is finished.

Regards,
Michael Garner
HP PSP/Firmware Development Lead
Kevin Masaryk
Occasional Advisor

Excellent. Thanks for the update Michael.