9261 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Looking for David Claypool or Rob Buxton

Mike Ng
Advisor

Looking for David Claypool or Rob Buxton

Hi,

I am using both Win2K and Windows 2003 for my managed system. Under Services, SNMP Properties, Agent tab. There are options for

Physical
Applications
Datalink and subnetwork
Internet
End-to-end

Can u give insight into this few option. Thanks.

My purpose is for security reason, and will check only the bare minimum. Pls see attached file.

Let say, INTERNET is checked (specifies whether this computer acts as an IP gateway (router).

With this option checked, all TCP/IP traffic can make use of this server to pass thru traffic, which is what we do not want as it impact performance and for security concern (hacking).

Can u give insight into this few option and what impact if uncheck it.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for David Claypool or Rob Buxton

Mike,
I'm just a user of HPSIM, I'm not an expert in all these related items.
I've never touched the options mentioned.

It got me curious and I did a bit of googling, but there doesn't seem to be much available that describes what these options control.

I would have thought that the options just related to SNMP, not to all TCPIP Traffic. And you can restrict what hosts can access your Server and by what community name.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

In my experience, checking them all or unchecking them does not change any HP SIM behavior. Maybe some SNMP expert can chime in.
Craig McK
Trusted Contributor

I'm certainly no expert, but I believe these options are just to specify the function of the SNMP device - The following is an extract from an old Microsoft article:

Choose the Physical option if the Windows NT computer manages a physical device, such as a repeater (Windows NT can be used as an embedded system).

Choose the Applications option if the Windows NT computer runs TCP/IP applications, such as FTP. This option should be selected for all Windows NT computers.

Enable the Datalink/Subnetwork option if the Windows NT computer manages a datalink device, such as a bridge or TCP/IP subnetwork.

Check the Internet option if the Windows NT computer acts as a router (also called IP gateway).

Check the End-to-End option if the Windows NT computer acts as a host (called end-system in the OSI model). This option should be selected for all Windows NT computers.
-=-=-=-=-
I don't think enabling them is a security risk as it's purely for monitoring.

Full article is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/maintain/featusability/networkm.mspx