Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752818 Members
4703 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lost administrator password on HP System Management Homepage

Graham Leiker

Lost administrator password on HP System Management Homepage

We need to find a way to reset the "HP System Management Homepage" administrator passwords on some DL380 G3 servers. This is the web-enabled tool that gives basic info about the server, configuration, etc. (The SmartStart CD sets up a mini-web server and it listens on port 2381 when you install the OS.) The servers were probably built with a SmartStart 6.20 CD.

P.S. this thread has been moved from ITRC server mgmt (Insight Manager 7) Forum to ITRC HP Systems Insight Manager Forum - HP Forums Moderator

13 REPLIES 13
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

Graham,
By wanting to do a password reset...do you know the existing password and want to change it once you've logged in? Or are you trying to login to the web page and don't know the password and want to set a password so that you can log in?
Ed
Graham Leiker

We don't know the current password so we need to set it to something we know.
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

If you have an existing server for which you do know the password...go to the
c:\compaq\wbem directory and copy the cpqhmmd.acl file to the same directory on your target servers. Once you overwrite the target servers' .acl files, then restart the web agent service on those target servers...(or the Foundation Agent service). Try to login after that...
Ed
Graham Leiker

That worked. I appreciate your help.
Graham Leiker

I bounced the box and I can log on. However the results are not detailed and big sections are missing. Do you know how to reinstall the utility & web server?
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

Yes I do...
Buckle up for a Tolstoy "short story":

Would like to do this through IM7 (push out the Proliant support pack)? Or through a batch file? Either method will install or re-install what you're looking for...plus update your drivers and utilities to the appropriate version level to go along with your Insight Agents.

Since this is an IM 7 forum...let's go that route.
IM 7 has the Application Launch feature. You can refer to the help file on how to use it, but here's a quick rundown.
We can use IM7 to kick in a batch file that can push the support pack (with the web based password, IM7 trust and VCA already pre-configured). This "push" that the App.Launch can do will depend upon Microsoft credentials versus our agent trust. I'm not sure if you have agent Trust setup on your target servers (3 modes: Trust All, Trust by name, or Trust by Certificate). However this batch file calls the Proliant support pack and if the PSP has been pre-configured properly ..the net result will be a properly configured target server with the appropriate web based password, trust level and the Version Control agent - (preset), so that you won't have to go through this batch file process again.
AnyHoo...
First things first. I assume you have access to the Proliant support packs either through the HP Website or the Smartstart cd. Either way...copy the support pack for the appropriate windows os to a folder on your hard drive. Once the support pack has been copied, verify that the Read Only attribute has been removed for ALL files, especially if the files came from the Smartstart cd.
Once that's done...run setup.exe and that will open the Remote Deployment utility. You will get a popup indicating that "One or more components need configuration...".
So click ok and look over to the left and you will see the folder labeled "All Configurable Components". Open that folder and look toward the bottom where it lists the HP Insight Management Agent. Right click and configure. Check the box next to Enable SNMP sets. Type in a web based password for Administrator. If you don't specify one for Operator and User, then what you type in for Administrator will be used for the other two accounts. Personally I wouldn't use the same password for all three accounts.
Then specify your Trust level. This is where it gets a little tricky. It defaults to Trust by Certificate which is the most secure way of establishing Trust between your targets and IM 7. If you want to do Trust by Name (a little easier)...choose that option from the pull-down menu and then type in the name of the IM7 server. If you want to do Trust by Certificate...send me another reply and I can walk you through that process...
Let's assume Trust by Name to start (you can always change it to Trust by Cert later under IM7 using a Group Configuration command).
Click Save at the top left and then right click the Version Control agent that's listed right above the Insight Agent. If you see more than one Version Control Agent listed, make sure you are configuring \ choosing version 2.0.
Right click and Configure...
Put in the name of the IM7 server and the password for the WEB BASED administrator account that exists on the IM7 server. You may also have to do some redundant work here like you did with the Insight Agent (i.e. Web based password and Trust level, etc.). Click Save when you're done.
You have successfully pre-configured your Proliant Support Pack.

Back to IM7,
Go to your Tasks page and on the lower right you will see the ability to create a new Control task. Choose Application Launch.
It will give you a screen where you can input a file name. Put in a file called:
Swupdate.bat - No path needed, just the filename will do.
Below that you will see where you can put in some variables. I am going to assume you will be using a domain account as your user account to push this file...otherwise you have to provide a user account name and password (let me know...).
The two main variables that will be passed on to the swupdate.bat file are:
install_file and Repo_dir .

Let's revisit the PSP folder from earlier. Inside the PSP folder are various text files at the top. They start with BP and have three different extensions. The BP files with the .txt extensions tell you which OS this particular BP file (i.e. BP000172.txt) is for. Typically the higher the number toward the end of the file...the more recent it is.
Open up a couple of them and look at the very top...you will see the OS listed. Make a note of the one that corresponds to your particular OS.
Then back to IM 7... the first variable is Install_file and it's associated Value will be BP0001xx.XML (not the .txt...that was just for your reference.) Click "Set".
Then the variable Repo_dir will have a value of c:\PSPFolder\ In other words you need to provide the complete path to the .xml file. Click set...and then Next. Pick which target servers are going to have the PSP install applied to them and then give the overall Task a name. You have the ability to create a Query that points to the target servers. Once you pick the query that points to your target servers, schedule the task to run, and give this App.Launch task a name.
If you would rather bypass IM 7 to do all of this...let me know and I can walk you through that process. It's a little less involved.
Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Ed Cox

Alan Brazendale

Hey folks,

I have exactly the same problem as above, however do not know any of my server passwords.. is there anyway to reset them?
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

Alan,
If you have someone you know with Proliant servers, have them email you their cpqhmmd.acl file and replace your .acl file with theirs (then restart web agent). If not...then:

The solution is to re-install the PSP or at the very least the insight manager agents so you can get the password pre-set before you re-install those agents. (Actually it's the Foundation Agent...)
SO: ...here's a portion of my previous response that might help:

First things first. I assume you have access to the Proliant support packs either through the HP Website or the Smartstart cd. Either way...copy the support pack for the appropriate windows os to a folder on your hard drive. Once the support pack has been copied, verify that the Read Only attribute has been removed for ALL files, especially if the files came from the Smartstart cd.
Once that's done...run setup.exe and that will open the Remote Deployment utility. You will get a popup indicating that "One or more components need configuration...".
So click ok and look over to the left and you will see the folder labeled "All Configurable Components". Open that folder and look toward the bottom where it lists the HP Insight Management Agent. Right click and configure. Check the box next to Enable SNMP sets. Type in a web based password for Administrator. If you don't specify one for Operator and User, then what you type in for Administrator will be used for the other two accounts. Personally I wouldn't use the same password for all three accounts.
Then specify your Trust level. This is where it gets a little tricky. It defaults to Trust by Certificate which is the most secure way of establishing Trust between your targets and IM 7. If you want to do Trust by Name (a little easier)...choose that option from the pull-down menu and then type in the name of the IM7 server. If you want to do Trust by Certificate...send me another reply and I can walk you through that process...
Let's assume Trust by Name to start (you can always change it to Trust by Cert later under IM7 using a Group Configuration command).
Click Save at the top left.

Now...from the main page that lists all of the Smart components, shift-highlight all of the components, then "control" click the Insight Management Agents so that this line will not be highlighted. Hit the X on the toolbar to delete everything from the list except the Insight Agent. You have a browse list at the top...browse to a target server and push the install to it by using the install button.
Now try logging in to that server's web page to verify that the password took effect.
Once that install is completed or successful, take the c:\compaq\wbem\cpqhmmd.acl file and copy it to another target(s) and overwrite that server(s) .acl file. Restart the web agent service on the target(s) and you should be good to go.
One final note...I would try and match up the version of the new agent with the version of the existing agent. For example, if your targets are running version 6.40 of the Support pack then I would re-install the 6.40 version of the Insight Agent.
Good luck,
Ed

Alan Brazendale

thats great thanks!