108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MIB for Symantec SMS 8240

SOLVED
Go to solution
sarvegu
Occasional Contributor

MIB for Symantec SMS 8240

Hi all, I would like to monitor by SIM a Symantec SMS 8240.I didn't find MIB on Symantec sites.Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks you very much.
5 REPLIES 5
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

A Google search of (Symantec SMS 8240 mib) brings up the document at ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/sym_mail_security/8200_8300_series/manuals/whats_new_4-1-0.pdf which states:

"To download the MIBs, log into the Control Center, and then add /snmp-mibs to the URL path in your
browser after /brightmail. For example: https://10.199.193.12:41443/brightmail/snmp-mibs"

Elsewhere in the section it says that "afa-mib.txt: Raid controller, disk specific, and other hardware OIDs and traps for the 8240"

Beware, as it identifies these as SNMPv2c MIBs and the HP SIM MIB processor only understands SNMPv1 directives. You may have to edit the MIB in order to get it to compile.
sarvegu
Occasional Contributor

Thanks you veru much!
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I too am looking for help with this. Were you able to make any progress on this? When I add our systems to SIM, they show up as "Linux" as the model. From what I understand, these are Dell boxes, so I would like to have them show up with the correct hardware identification. Also, can SNMP gather information such as RAM and processor speed in them? Or are we pretty much limited to just basic device identification and traps being sent?

Thanks
Nelson
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Check out the information on 'System Type Manager' in the HP SIM Technical Reference Guide at http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim --> Information Library. You're probably going to need a custom rule (since an existing rule isn't identifying beyond 'Linux') to classify the device.

HP SIM uses SNMP MIBs exclusively for traps and it doesn't use it for data collection. Configuration information for non-HP devices using SNMP is limited to the most basic RFC data. If you are able to get a CIMOM operating on the box (such as OpenWBEM or OpenPegasus) and there are providers that instrument the hardware for it, HP SIM should be able to collect the config data using WBEM.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the tip. I'd give you some points, but, well, I can't! :)

Nelson