108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MIB installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

MIB installation

I have a number of MIBs that I would like to install. The files all have extentions of ".my" instead of ".cfg" or ".mib". It doesn't look like SIM recognises this extention. What do I need to do to these files before I can import them? I thought of renaming obviously, but I wasn't sure if I should/could rename them to ".cfg" or ".mib".
6 REPLIES 6
Steve Kadish
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Rename them to .mib. .cfg are the compiled MIB files.

Good luck,
- Steve
kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Steve,

I renamed these, compiled and imported them. However, when I select the mib in Options->Events->SNMP Trap Settings I don't see any traps under "Trap Names". There are actually several I've tried to import that I have this same issue, including the Cisco-SMI and Cisco-Products mibs. Another set of mib files I imported (from F5 for thier BigIP product) seem to have compiled and imported correctly as I see a list of trap names to select and configure.

Looking at the cfg file for the Cisco-Products or Cisco-SMI mibs, I don't see any traps that would be imported.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be happening here?
Steve Kadish
Trusted Contributor

SIM doesn't really like the Cisco MIBs. There's quite a bit of editing which needs to be done to make them import correctly. If you search this forum for "cisco mibs," you will probably find quite a few postings with helpful tips.

I, personally, tried this a few years ago and decided it wasn't worth it - my Cisco devices are monitored by a different product, and I reserve SIM for HP products only.

Good luck,
- Steve
kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the quick reply Steve. I thought it might be a syntax issue. The mibs I really want are for a number of environmental sensors, so I guess I'll be spending some time working on getting those mibs working.

I noticed after posting that for the F5 mibs I mentioned, of the three mibs I imported, only one of them actually had traps that I could configure. I also noticed other mibs in the SIM list were also blank. Is it possilbe that some of these mibs that don't show traps (SNMPv2 for example) contain other information that is required for other mib files, hence the importance of order of installation of some mib files?
Steve Kadish
Trusted Contributor

That's entirely correct. Not all MIBs contain traps; usually these are prerequisites for other MIBs.

- Steve
Geomz

kc2kth, did you ever get your MIB issue resolved?
I'm trying to do the same exact thing you are/were with some BigIP boxes. The mibs load just fine and I can see them is SIM, but when the BigIP sends traps to SIM it shows them as generic unregistered events, rather than actual BigIP events. Have you been able to find a solution to this?

Thank you