4625 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MIBS installed but traps showing unregistered

elstermetering
Occasional Advisor

MIBS installed but traps showing unregistered

Hello

I have installed the IBM-SERVERAID-MIB using the mcompile and mixmib tools so I can recieve alerts pertaining to the hard disks on our IBM servers.

However, when we recieve traps they are showing up as generic unregistered. If I google the OID it is coming up with IBM-SERVERAID-MIB.mib which, as I said, is installed and I can browse it through options --> events --> snmp trap settings.

I'm at a complete loss!
12 REPLIES 12
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

Re: MIBS installed but traps showing unregistered

Hello.

Depending on the version of the OS / Firmwares ... running on your IBM server a trap may be too recent for the mib. I just had the case with Netapp mibs last week.

Make sure the mib you are using is up to date. Browse the mib file and try to find if the trap is defined using the complete OID path and trap value that SIM is showing in the details of the trap.

Regards.
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

If you get the unregistered Trap from the device you should see the Trap OID.
Have you open the MIB file to check if this trap is really defined?

If you go to options->envents->snmp trap settings and select IBM-SERVERAID-MIB do see diferent traps? ( I saw some server which had MIB files loaded successful without trap definition in it).

Some times you need to use wireshark or similar tools to verify if the trap definition (OID) was correct defined in the MIB file.
elstermetering
Occasional Advisor

OlivierV/bpe:

I've tried several different versions of the mib, ranging from 2003 to 2010 and get the same result with each.

I've looked in the MIB file but I'm not great at interpreting it so I was wondering if someone could look at it and see if the problem is something very obvious that I am missing. (MIB file attached.)

Enterprise OID string: 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.167.2.0
Generic trap ID: 6
Specific trap ID: 601

I've verified this with wireshark.

Many thanks

Paul

BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Hi

The MIB File looks good for your trap.
I did not have the time to compile and check but you should think about the following
possible problems:
1. can you see the trap name ibmServeRaidTestTrap under options-> events -> SNMP Trap settings after you selected the mib name

2. Is the "Enable Trap Handling" Field set to true?
3. Have you assigned a Category and Severity of your choice?
4. Check the SNMP Filter setting options-> Event-> Event Filter Settings. Upper part
and lower part. For Testing click on all the checkboxes in the upper part and check that you have a * in the left lower part
5. Is the IP of the trap Source already discovered? (Compare it with the wireshark details)
Hope this hints helps

BPE
elstermetering
Occasional Advisor

Hi bpe

Thanks for the reply.

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) I hadn't, but I have now selected category 'storage' and severity 'minor'. Sent another test trap and it is still showing as unregistered.
4) All boxes are checked and their is a * in the lower left box.
5)Yes

Many thanks,

P
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Did you download the MIB File from IBM or do you use the ibmserveraid.mib from the MIB Kit of HP? During some development of a customer specific MIB file I recognized that SIM does not check very well, what you are loading. You should try an unload and verfiy with mxmib -l if SIM did the unload correct. I used the mxmib -d option even the documentation says mxmib -a replace the data of a registered mib.

If you have an ESX server or a linux system with the snmptrap command you can test the trap /usr/bin/snmptrap -v1 -cpublic your_sim_ip_address enterprises.2.6.167.2 '' 6 601 '' enterprises.2.6.167.2.1.3.8 s `cat /proc/sys/kernel/hostname`

Just to test the command run
/usr/bin/snmptrap -v1 -cpublic your_sim_ip_address enterprises.232 '' 6 11003 '' system.5.0 s `cat /proc/sys/kernel/hostname` enterprises.232.11.2.11.1 i 0 enterprises.232.11.2.8.1 s 'Test Trap'
you should get a generic trap (11003)

This works for me with the hp ibmserveraid.mib.

Hope this helps

BPE
elstermetering
Occasional Advisor

The plot thickens...

I am currently using the ibmserveraid.mib provided with the HP SIM software, although I have tried both.

I did what you suggested using a handy Linux box I had lying around and I can confirm that the traps are showing up fine when I send them this way.

So I can't understand why they are coming up as generic unregistered when I send it from Serveraid manager. The info all looks ok...

P
elstermetering
Occasional Advisor

Ok, I have just stumbled upon something with Wireshark which is possibly significant.

When a trap is sent from serveraid manager, it is coming up with enterprise:1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.167.2.0 and these are showing as generic unregistered.

However, when sending a test trap from linux as above, it is enterprise:1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.167.2 and this is interpreted correctly. If I change the command so it has the additional 0 on the end it comes up as generic unregistered again.

Not quite sure how to interpret this information. Could it be as simple as modifying the MIB file?
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

It could be tricky to change the MIB File,
because you do not know is this a bug or feature. e.g.
Only the test event generation has this problem. Real Events are OK or also unregistered)

What HW are you using (XServer or BladeCenter or...)?
How did you generate the test event (IMM Interface)?