108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MIBS problem HP SIM vs CIM7

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mahesh Shah_3
Frequent Advisor

MIBS problem HP SIM vs CIM7

We are in process of migrating from old cim7 to new HP SIM5 sp5. We did not select upgrade path instead installed HP SIM on new DL585 and rediscovered all the servers, create queries and tasks, same as old cim7.

Recently, we have HDD failed on one of server; we received critical email and pager from both Insight Manager consoles for failed HDD.

Once we replaced the HDD we did NOT receive any messages from HP SIM regarding, but we did receive the following massages from old cim7.

Examples:
External Array Logical Status change (16022) for HDD is being rebuilding
External Array Logical Drive Status Change. This trap signifies that the agent has detected a change in the status of an External Array logical drive. The variable cpqFcaLogDrvStatus indicates the current logical drive status. User Action: If the logical drive status is failed, examine the array for failed drives that need replacement

External Array Physical Drive Status Change (16016).
External Array Physical Drive Status Change. This trap signifies that the agent has detected a change in the status of a physical drive. The variable cpaFcaPhyDrvStatus indicates the current physical drive status. User Action: If the physical drive status is threshExceeded(4), predictiveFailure(5) or failed(6), replace the drive.

The MIB file for both messages is CPQFCA.MIB.

Since HP SIM5 SP5 is running with mibs v7.30 and old cim7 is running with mibs v7.40. So basically I download the MIBS v7.40 file from HP web site and updated the MIBS following instructions and running тАШcscript updatemibs.jsтАЩ, is there something else needs to be done or not?
Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

A couple of things.
You could check if you actually received anything at all from the server by looking at the events for the server.
Click on the server name and then go to the Events tab.

In addition there is now a MIB bundle for 7.60.
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/25868.html
Loading this will not invalidate any traps coming from earlier versions of the agents.

You can also test SNMP Traps are getting to the HPSIM Server by using the SNMP Send from the HP Management Agents GUI. That should generate a major event.
Mahesh Shah_3
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for the quick response.

By the way I did checked the ├в Events tab├в in SIM for that server and nothing is recorded when we replaced the HDD, only events is for HDD failed. That├в s show the SNMP traps is being generated and HP SIM is receiving.

I would like to keep the v7.40 MIB version so I can compare with old cim7 and hp sim.

Based on the url link you have provided and revision history of v7.50 and v7.60 MIBS does not indicate any fix or revision for cpqFcaLogDrvStatus and cpaFcaPhyDrvStatus any update in CPQFCA.MIB file.

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

If a trap is sent and there's no MIB to decode it, then it should just show as a generic unregistered trap.
You can configure HPSIM to accept or not accept these.

The SNMP Trap Send from the GUI is an easy test to confirm the trap sent is being received correctly.

I agree that the MIB changes are not really that big, that's why I'd more suspect the trap wasn't being received by the HPSIM server.

Some Arrays have additional agents (e.g. EMA12000) that are independently configured to send SNMP Traps. In this case the normal HP Agents would pick up some stuff, and the Array agent would pick up the status changes.
Mahesh Shah_3
Frequent Advisor

Assigning points