4916 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSSW fails to install Openssh for Windows

DennisY
Occasional Advisor

MSSW fails to install Openssh for Windows

Hello,

Environment is a physical dedicated CMS running HP Insight Control 7.2, SPP 2013.09.0

I am unable to install OpenSSH on a managed Windows 2008 R2 server via the Managed Systems Setup Wizard, or by the "Deploy-Deploy Drivers, Firmware and Agents-Install OpenSSH" option.

The process reports an exit code of -3, which I cannot find any reference to.

I have noticed from the logs that HP SUM is attempting to use the component "CP017273.EXE" to do this installation (see below extract from log!), and I assume that this file must reside either on the CMS somewhere. However, a search of the CMS local hard drive (it is a physical server dedicated as a CMS) does not find this particular file.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//  HP Smart Update Manager for Target 172.16.6.169 Started: Tue Dec 17 2013 13:00:52
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

====== HP Smart Update Manager Installation Log ======
===========================================================================
Source:          CP017273.EXE
Version:         1008.1.0.0
Log Date:        12/17/2013 13:04:54

Log Session Start...

Executing setup utility - cpqsetup.exe...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setup Session Beginning   12/17/2013 - 13:04:55 PM
Command Line Parameters Given: /silent
Name:            OpenSSH Services 5.9p1-1
New Version:     1.7.11

Determining component installation state...

The software is not installed on this system, but is supported for installation.

- the component will be installed
The installation procedure did not complete successfully.  An error occurred during the setup process.

The operation was not successful.
End Session
Setup utility completed.

Log Session End. [13:04:58]
Return Code (0)
===========================================================================

//  Exit Code for Target 172.16.6.169: -3
//  HP Smart Update Manager for Target 172.16.6.169 Finished: Tue Dec 17 2013 13:08:47

WINDOWS_HPSUM_INSTALL_NOTE,C:\cpqsystem\hp\log\172.16.6.169
HPSUM_LOG_INFO
HPSUM_DETAIL_INFO

Can someone offer some words of advice as to how I can get OpenSSH installed in order to get all my systems configured with MSSW.

Thanks,

Dennis.

4 REPLIES 4
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello Dennis,

I just check the CP file you mention is present on my SIM server under \HP\Systems Insight Manager\openhhs.

The directory contains a total of 4 files, EXE, EXE DLL and VBS file. The CP files is of date 15-10-2012. I wcould guess that these files were placed by the HP SIM installation.

You could check under Options> Managed Environment (in SIM)if Windows and or Linux are selected. I only have the Windows and Linux options selected.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
DennisY
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Andrew, I did eventually find the file.

However, it still leaves me with the issue of OpenSSH not installing on a target system via the MSSW or via the Deploy-Software, |Firmware and Agents utilities.

To manually install OpenSSH on all the targets in the environment could take a long time and is open to many mistakes.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

Did you try to do a repair? One of the repair options is to install an agent. I believe that installing an open SSH was one of the options. It should be on the first page of the repair options.

kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
DennisY
Occasional Advisor

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I did try the Repair 0r Configure Agents option, same problem.

I ahev worked around by copyinf the CP017273.EXE file to the managed system and installing SSH locally, but that is a painful and time-consuming workaround with an environment of 12 C7000 chassis!

I may have to resort to SCCM to deploy OpenSSH instead of SIM. Not looking forward to that.