Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752786 Members
5753 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Manage Windows Systems with WBEM (Migrating from SNMP)

SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

Manage Windows Systems with WBEM (Migrating from SNMP)

Hi everyone,

since Microsoft doesn't support anymore SNMP on Windows Server 2012 we have to start managing our Windows Systems with WBEM.

So I have a few questions:

- Are there any documents that explain how the "best practices" are for configuring WBEM based management in large environments?

- Is there a way to use one certificate for 2000+ systems for WBEM based management (like we have the certificate for SNMP in HP SMH) --> it isn't an option for us to manage the systems with credentials, because then we would have to configure individual credentials on about 2000+ servers...

- Is it possible to provide a certificate to the managed systems while installing the Insight Management WBEM Providers? (so that we could automate the installation of the WBEM Providers and provide the certificate the same way)

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

3 REPLIES 3
DDavis44
Occasional Contributor

I am looking into the same thing and found several articles at the link below. I can't give you any feedback on them as I have just start my investigation - hope it helps:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/wbem/documentation.html

SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

Yes, I've found that already but I couldn't find anything helpful about the certificate / automation etc. until now...

SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

OK I've found a further description about the certificate in the HP SIM Help:

Using the CMS certificate for authentication is available only for HP-UX WBEM Services 2.05 or greater, which supports client certificate authentication. Use the Configure or Repair Agents Use an HP SIM WBEM certificate (good for 10 years) rather than username/password to manage the system option to deploy a WBEM certificate to the managed system and is valid only for HP-UX systems

So for Windows Systems this isn't even usable :(