108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Management Processor

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark McMurray
Occasional Advisor

Management Processor

On the system management homepage there is a section for Management Processor. Under that title there are two items. Integrated Lights out and Embedded NEC98431. The Lights out is fine while the Embedded NEC98431 has a link status of DOWN and thus always shows up as a FAILED item. We are not using this port for anything at this time. Is there an easy way of making it NOT show up. Quite honestly I am not sure what it is for!??
6 REPLIES 6
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

In true techie fashion, the 'NEC98431' describes the actual chip that is iLO. A Link Down indicates there is no network connectivity to it. Is it connected?
Mark McMurray
Occasional Advisor

No it is not connected to anything. It is not a NIC but a connection for some sort of managment that I am not familar with. When you setup the server you have to be careful not to plug the network cable into it as it does not work. It accepts a RJ45 connector and I could plug it into a switch. What is it meant to do?
Mark McMurray
Occasional Advisor

I should have noted that this is a HP ML370 G3 server. I has one NIC card and then this managment connection. Only the regular NIC card shows up in device manager.

TIA

Mark
Mark McMurray
Occasional Advisor

Based on your first post iLo chipset I went to device manager and found it listed under Multifunction Adapters with a name of HPiLO Management Channel Interface Driver. I disabled it and reset the server. In Insight Manager the Managment Processor area went away entirely as did the notice of the failed item.

This does not answer the basic question of what it it intended to do?

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

The Lights Out is for remote management of your Server.
If you connect a separate Network cable to this port and configure it you can browse to the IP Address and do things like remote Power Down / Up of the Server and you'll see the Boot Up screen and can interact with that up until it goes to Graphics mode.
It is very useful for Servers remote from where you are as it can save having to go out to the actual Server.
Additional functionality is provided if you get the ILO Advanced pack.

Disabling Remote Insight in the Agents is the best option for Servers where you will not be using the remote access functionality.
Mark McMurray
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the explaination. That make sense. I will figure out how to configure it and see if I can make it work.

Mark