New Discussion юеВ

Manually create rack for DL servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
ThomasO
Frequent Advisor

Manually create rack for DL servers

Hi All

I have a rack with 3 blade enclosures which looks quite nice in HP SIM (5.1SP1).
I also have a second rack with some Proliant DL 360/380 servers.
I was wondering if it is possible to manually create a similar rack view that was automatically created for the BL servers to group my DL servers?

Some help is appreciated.

Thanks.

/Thomas
6 REPLIES 6
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: Manually create rack for DL servers

Let us know if this helps. Page 197. 210-211 of

h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/hpsim_userGuide.pdf
ThomasO
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sujith

Thanks for your tip. However, I can't find anything on the pages you mentioned regarding manually creating a rack where I can add my Proliant DL servers.

What I tried was to manually add a system using Options \ Discovery \ Manual and add a new device called RACK1 and choose System Type = Rack.
This new rack now shows up under the default collection All Racks, but I am not able to add any DL servers to this rack. The only available systems to add are my blade enclosures.

Are there anything else I can do to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks.

/Thomas
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

That sounds a nice idea, I'd be interested in how you get on.
If I get time I'll have a look at that myself. But isn't the rack component separately licensed?
breakpoint_arun
Advisor
Solution

BladeSystem integrated manager plugin 2.3 (that was packaged with SIM 5.1) automatically created racks and put the "daisy chained" enclosures in a "rack".
from BladeSystem integrated manager 2.4 onwards, the racks must be created manually and enclosures added manually.
discover an enclosure. go to enclosure page and add enclosure to rack. Also add/remove blade enclosures to/from the rack. But currently, there is no provision to add DL servers to a rack.
ThomasO
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Arun_as for your reply

I guess this means that at least for now, it is not possible to add DL servers and display them in a rack view the same way as with Blade Servers.

/Thomas
ThomasO
Frequent Advisor

As the above reply stated, it is not possible to create a Rack View for DL servers, only Blade servers.