7364 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Migrate HP SIM 7.2 from physical to virtual server

simli27
Advisor

Migrate HP SIM 7.2 from physical to virtual server

Hello,

due to performance problems with our physical server running HP SIM we decided to migrate HP SIM to a virtual server using VMWare.

What is the best practice to do that? Are there any guidelines and helps online?

Is it possible to export the configuration from the old HP SIM installation and import it to the new one on the virtual machine?

If yes, then would that be a bether way or is it bether to create a image of the whole server and virtualice that?

Thanks again for all your help!

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello Simli27,

Performance on a virtual server usualy is not beter. Depending if you run your SQL remote or local, the disk IO of a local SQL can be killing. Hp recomends a virtual if you have no more than 1500 objects.

If you want to make your SIM server virtual you Could do a P to V.

Kind regards and a good weekend,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew
simli27
Advisor

Hey,

well when we wanted to use HP SIM at our last weekends patchday we noticed that the physical machine has got a CPU usage between 80 to 100 % when there are several running tasks in HP SIM. Also the memory usage is very high. So that's why I think that a virtualization of the sever would make sense. Well then I will try it using a P2V.

One question:

Is there a possibility or function to export the current settings/configuration of the HP SIM installation?

Regards

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello Again,

When you do a P to V you don't have to export anything, that's the whole idea. You migratie the machine to a virtual machine. If you do want to migrate having the old and building a new SIM server next to it just reply i'll give you Some pointers like mxnode -ln > c:\export.txt to be used in an import on the new server, repair to set the trust.

Stuff like that....

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew
Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

This is possible and you can use DMT (Data Migration Tool) to do this.

Please apply the latest HOTFIX on top of HPSIM 7.2 installation incase they

are not applied yet. We have few enhencement / imp. fixes done in that.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee