7329 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migrating HP SIM 5.0 to SIM 5.3

Pranava
Occasional Advisor

Hi Friends,

I have planned to go for SIM 5.1 in new server.

I have downloaded the software to install in new server. Now how should I proceed to move the data and configuration from old SIM 5.0 to new SIM 5.1 (i.e from old server to new server)

Please help.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, I have to withdraw my recommendation to use the 6.0 Data Migration Tool since it won't be available for HP-UX until a future version.

However, again if you're going to go through the trouble, your goal should be 6.0 or you'll only delaying the inevitable.

The first thing to consider (particularly if the installation is only HP SIM, not the VSE suite or gWLM, etc) is exactly what is valuable in your current installation that can't be collected again (such as server configuration information) automatically. Trust relationships and WBEM indication subscriptions can easily be done with the new HP SIM instance using Configure or Repair Agents. If you don't have a large number of HP SIM users, it might actually be easier to re-create the users and toolboxes rather than trying to port that to the new server.

Here's the steps I would take, and again, I recommend deploying 6.0 when available.

- Deploy the new HP SIM and do a discovery. Use CRA to establish your trust relationships and subscribe to WBEM indications. Data Collection will gather all of the current configurations of the servers. Best practice would be to continue operate in parallel with both servers until you're comfortable that you have everything operating on the new server.

- If you have created custom tools, you can use the mxtool command to output the XML files that define the custom tools, then copy the XML files to the new system and use mxtool again to import them.

- Any of your custom collections can be handled likewise with the mxcollect command. (If you have any trouble, you can alternatively try the mxquery command)

- When you're ready to shut down the old server, archive off the events data for reference. Since there are limits to the DB size, it's better not to try to move the events into your new server.
Pranava
Occasional Advisor

How to backup custom tools using mxtool?
Could you please help inthis regard