1751860 Members
5327 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitor ESX host with SIM using just SNMP

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Monitor ESX host with SIM using just SNMP

Anyone have tips/instructions on how to monitor ESX hosts with SIM using just SNMP. I have used WBEM in the past, but no longer with to do this. I got it to work with one server but have no idea HOW it is working:

I have 4 ESX hosts in which three of them show up as "LINUX" as the hardware model in SIM and one of them shows up correctly as "ProLiant DL385 G5p". All four servers are identical (in terms of hardware), I compared the SNMP settings on them, and that is identical too. The only thing I am not sure on is the install and configuration of the Agents. I don't build the ESX servers (our UNIX team does this) and they claim all 4 servers were built from the same "tarball" (whatever that means). So as far as I can tell, all 4 servers are identical, yet only 1 is correctly identified in SIM.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Nelson
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

From the HP SIM side I would check that the servers show the same Management protocols - gives a fairly clear idea of what succeeded. Also check on the system credentials, in HPSIM 5.3 this now shows what it has successfully used.
You might want to check with the Unix Team to see if they use a config file with a silent install for the HP Agents. This ensures that they're are configured in the same manner.

You're correct, snmp should be enough to correctly ID the server.
What version of ESX and HP SIM and Agents are in use?
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Hi Rob - thanks for the comments.

I checked the management protocols, and they are all identical.

I am not using SIM 5.3 yet.

I am using ESX 3.5.0, 153875 (all 4 servers are at this rev)

I am using HP Agents 8.1; no choice in this - this is determined by the UNIX team (all 4 servers are at this rev)

I just tried WBEM again - to get be back to where I started, an now that is not working either. I had all my ESX server correctly identified (but missing key inventory data, and hence my desire to use just SNMP) a few days ago, deleted them, readded them with just SNMP, found the problem, and the re-added them like how I had it before (WBEM and SNMP) and now they no longer work. Something is really strange here.

Thanks
Nelson
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Well you may want to go back to the Unix Admins, my understanding is that 8.20 of the Agents added support for ESX 3.5 U4, and I that's what you're running according to the Build Number. So in theory that combo is not supported.
See:
tp://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=428936&swItem=MTX-c79cd61afc1543f2868f969dfa&prodNameId=3288114&swEnvOID=4025&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

Also, has a trust been set up correctly, e.g. what happens when you hit the HW icon, do you go straight to the SMH?
You can import the cert just like for Windows, but may need your Unix admin to log you in as root.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Good point - I will check with them on the 8.2 version.

Yes - there is a trust with all 4 servers.

Thanks
Nelson
RobH_Seattle
Advisor

wbem is microsoft creation so I wouldn't get my hopes up that it would work too well with vmware. We have 16 esx hosts in 3 clusters and simply use the psp plugin for vmware and snmp. Works great.
In addition, for HA sanity sake, we use other tools such as Hyper 9 and of course Virtual Center.
Just my $.02.
cheers
Rob
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

We ended up getting it working with SNMP. Our ESX admin had disabled some key components (due to some SCSI problems or similar that was well reported in the VMware community).

So all is good.
Thanks
Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Install complete HP support pack and do not disable any components. Then, the servers were fully recognized by SIM and an accurate inventory was generated.