1752816 Members
4394 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Monitor Suspend true script / Not all Nodes Suspend Monitoring

Raymon_1
Frequent Advisor

Monitor Suspend true script / Not all Nodes Suspend Monitoring

Hi can anybody explain why my suspend script doenst suspend all machines ?

Command Line:

"C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\bin\mxnode.exe" -m -f d:\suspendsan1h.xml

XML File:

After this i need to suspend the remaining servers by hand.
4 REPLIES 4
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

Re: Monitor Suspend true script / Not all Nodes Suspend Monitoring

Hi

Which machines are not supsended ? Are the last ones ?

I wonder if there is a limitation in the number of devices that can be listed in the XML file...
Have you tried with less machines listed in the XML to see if there is a breaking point ?

Regards

Frederic
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov

There could be an environment limit (read the help on the mxexec as it talks about various limitations and more details on the environment).

I created a script that could be run within SIM and would run an uptime against the devices selected but it never worked well if you selected more then just a handful of devices. This I believe was a problem with the environment because SIM would launch a single task with all the devices selected as parameters to the command.

What I would do to work around the issue you're having is to create just a list of the devices (devices.txt) and loop through this text file and create a single node xml system then run the mxnode -m -f single.xml

Devices.txt -
# Ignore lines beginning with #
server01.domain.com
server02.domain.com
serverxy.domain.com
# End of Devices.txt
------------------------------
Script Name: SMon.bat
----------
@echo off
:
: loop through devices in the devices.txt file and suspend each device
:
cls
echo Suspending Monitoring of Devices listed in the Devices.txt file
echo.
if NOT exist devices.txt echo No Devices.txt file found && goto END
for /f "eol=#" %%i in (devices.txt) do @call :DOLOOP %%i
goto EOL
:DOLOOP
echo ^^^^ >single.txt
mxnode -m -f .\single.txt
goto :EOF
:EOL
echo.
echo Script has finished
echo.
:END
pause
-----------

Now I would maybe carry this script one step further and have a input parameter of S or R and then either suspend or resume monitoring of the devices listed in the text file.

One last note: Be careful with suspending/resuming monitoring of large numbers of devices at one time. I got burned bad when one PM weekend I thought I'd be smart and suspend monitoring of all our devices (over 500) for a short window while most of the servers would be rebooted. After that window all devices showed they were being monitored but the next couple of weeks we were having some strange notification issues (mainly alerts not being sent). Long story short is that even though from the GUI all devices showed they were being monitored some were NOT. After going through the entire list a few pages at a time and re-enabling the monitoring our problems went away.

MJ
Raymon_1
Frequent Advisor

I just looked at the System Event Viewer (Windows 2000) and it says

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer "ip adress of server" using any of the configured protocols.

But the systems that are suspending perfectly are in the logs. The non suspending machines are not logged.
Raymon_1
Frequent Advisor

Problem Solved

I found out that the same servers everytime failed to suspend.

Deleted the servers from HP-SIM and added them now there fine.