108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitor specific OID

SOLVED
Go to solution
kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

Monitor specific OID

Is there a way to configure SIM (5.x) to monitor a specific OID on a device and send an email if the vaule returned is outside a specific range? I am working with a device that while a MIB is provided for it, the MIB contains only device information, no traps are defined.
7 REPLIES 7
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

No, that is not a capability of HP SIM. Theoretically you could have a facility (a script run locally or remotely from the device) that checks the OID and makes a decision. Then the script could call something to send an event like an SNMP trap.
kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the quick reply David. That is what I was afraid of.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Describe more of what you're trying to accomplish. There may be another method than what you're asking.
kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

I have a device, a temperature monitor, that is accessible by SNMP. The device is configurable to send traps when the temperature falls outside of a specified range. However, the mib provided by the manufacturer does not define these traps so that while I can compile and import the mib, I have no way to tell SIM that when it receives a trap from the device it should notify someone.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

If the device in fact can send an SNMP trap but you don't have a MIB defining it, of course you could try to write your own MIB. :) I don't recommend that, of course, because there is some voodoo that eludes me when it comes to making trap MIBs I've tried to write work.

Luckily, there's a 'thinking outside the box' solution to your problem. If you enable 'Accept unregistered traps' in HP SIM, it will receive the raw trap even though it can't translate them. Your notification rule could then be based on any trap being received from this device.
kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

That sounds like it might work. I looked over the gui, and did a couple of searches of the forums here, but I couldn't find where I enable this option. I may also need some pointers in setting up that event. Normally my rules consist of simple "if this box does something, email someone".
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Options --> Events --> Event filter settings

Your rule is exactly what you need; if any trap is received from this device, email someone.