New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitoring Hard Drive failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Craig_D1
Occasional Advisor

Monitoring Hard Drive failure

Hi

We use SIM to monitor our HP DL380G5 and DL360G5 Servers. The servers have ILO and use this for the Management Processor. Will ILO report when a Hard Drive failes, and will this report up on SIM? Also, i have noticed when a power supply has its power turned SIM does not report any event. is this correct?
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

all of these things will be monitored by the insight manager agents on the box, both of the events mentioned should be reported back to hp sim if configured to do so.

fwiw

Craig_D1
Occasional Advisor

Ok Thanks for that.
When you say in sight manager, are you refering to ILO? the box is running redhat so there is no agent running on the OS.
Thanks
Craig
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

iLO2 has no visibility to hard drives in the G5 and earlier servers. (With G6 it can now detect hard disk presence but not failure.) You would need the Linux Support Pack to deliver the agents and the underlying health package in order to get alerts on drive, environmental and other issues, including support for pre-failure conditions on CPU, ECC Memory and drives. More info from http://www.hp.gom/go/proliantlinux --> More Linux Documentation --> Managing ProLiant Servers with Linux
Craig_D1
Occasional Advisor

Great thanks for that.. Excelent help.
Craig_D1
Occasional Advisor

Is there any other way to monitor the system without having to install the HP REHL support pack?
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

hard drives are S.M.A.R.T. capable so something ends up in messages when errors occur. There might be some native os SNMP traps available for those to sent SIM but the pre-failure things are the gain with agents.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Craig_D1
Occasional Advisor

I have installed the agents and web component on the RedHat server, SIM is still reporting a blue ! next to SW (Software Version Status). I have run a discovery and identification on this server too.

Is there anything else I need to get the SW agent working?

Thanks