5034 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitoring MSA2000

bconstant
Advisor

Monitoring MSA2000

Hello,

Is there a way to monitor an MSA2000 (2012i) with HP SIM (WBEM/SMI-S, SNMP...)? How?

Many thanks,
13 REPLIES 13
Ervinck Kevin
Valued Contributor

At the moment we are doing monitoring of our MSA2000's via email alerts. Would be interesting though if we can do it via SIM too.
Anyone?
Mario Glaum

Hi, we have the same question any way to add the MSA2000 to SIM?
Regards
bconstant
Advisor

Well, I'm able to add the MSA to SIM using SNMP but the subset of events managed by SIM (according to the Mib) is very limited.
For example, when I pull a disk out of the array, the status of the MSA changes but there is no event log... When I put the disk back, the status changes back but still no event log... (in fact only the health icon changes)
When I send a test trap from the MSA, no event is logged or linked to the MSA.
During the MSA discovery from SIM, the device name is properly retrieved but the device type is set to unknown.

Regards,
Ervinck Kevin
Valued Contributor

That's because there's no updated MIB file in HPSIM 5.2 SP2 which holds the MSA2000 events.
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

I should receive one within a few weeks and started checking on the same issue.

From my understanding, the bottom line is that you can't currently manage the device with SIM.

However, OSEM does supports the device so at least you can configure SNMP traps to be sent to your OSEM server and you'll get notified if there's an event. Theoretically, if you're on a CMS, service events will be sent to HP using RSP. But as I say that's all in theory, I haven't been able to try it yet.

That's my two cents. Keep us posted.
bconstant
Advisor

Olivier,

Thank you for your feedback. Could you point me where it is stated that the MSA2000 is supported by OSEM. I was unable to find that on my own.

Regards,
John Lernihan
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any update on the MSA2000 issue in SIM?

I cannot get SIM 5.3 to correctly identify the device.

Thanks,

John
John Lernihan
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

The MSA2000 is supported within SIM, I configured one today in SIM 5.3 and it is also configured for RSP and working correctly.

The device needs to be discovered using SNMP.

I do not understand why everyone thinks it is not supported because it is.

Let me know if you would like further detail on how to configure an MSA2000 in SIM.

Regards,

John

bconstant
Advisor

Hello,

That is true that monitoring of MSA has improved from version 5.2 to 5.3 but I'm still not considering it as fully supported.
The sytem type is not properly detected and the MIB hasn't evolved since 5.2.
From what I see, all events trigerred by the MSA are mapped to the Error storage event.

Regards,