1752752 Members
5289 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitoring UNIX Systems with HP SIM

Andrew Affleck
Occasional Contributor

Monitoring UNIX Systems with HP SIM

IS HP SIM for HP-UX required to monitor UNIX systems effectively or can all systems types (netware, HP-UX, HP Proliants and non-hp windows) be effectively set up to be managed by Systems Insight Manager 5.0 with SP2 - Windows?

My main concern is Windows systems and I have an effective setup for these.

Thanks again
3 REPLIES 3
KPark
Advisor

Hi Andrew,
Reading your post, you ask 2 different questions, managing and monitoring. Sim can monitor just about anything, but managing the systems require specific agents and the correct mibs.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

The only real caveat is with older HP-UX systems that use DMI as the Intel DMI layer available on Windows doesn't talk with it properly...
David Libby_4
Regular Advisor

Hi Andrew,

I think the answer to your question has got to be: " it depends what you want to do..."

If you want to group all your unix config tools on one mgmt box (i.e. cfengine, ignite, sd-ux and HPSIM) then you'll need an HP-UX version. However, if *all* you want to do is monitoring with WBEM/SNMP then you are fine staying on Windows.

We've been using HPSIM for Unix for over a year now on a mixed environment (100 or so hp-ux boxes and 400 or so Windows machines).

Currently to my knowledge not one of the versions of HPSIM (hp-ux,linux or windows) is able to provide all the functionality advertised in a cross-platform fashion (i.e. there's always *something* missing. To me that means it is not the one-stop shop it claims to be.

We'll be implementing HPSIM on Windows as well soon and have two CMS's. This is in order to gain the Virtual Machine Management and Vulnerabilty Management functions, not available on the HP-UX version.

If you want true cross-platform management apparently a pay-for product like Radia is still the only way forward. HPSIM has matured a lot recently but "one console to rule them all" is not yet implemented fully.

Cheers,
David