4318 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

More Questions about OpenSSH

Peter J West
Frequent Advisor

More Questions about OpenSSH

Hi there,

We've just done a new installation of HP SIM and the majority of things we've managed to get working fine.

However, we're struggling with OpenSSH and i've got a few questions i'm hoping someone can help me with.

Firstly i'd like clarification if it's possible to run the OpenSSH Service as an account other than Administrator? I've defined a Service Account (svc-ukinsight) which is a member of the Domain Administrators group so i'd like to use this. If it is possible can someone give some guidance on what other steps may be required?

The strange thing is that I seem to have managed to get this working. I used the mkgroup -d and mkpasswd -d -u svc-ukinsight commands to add the appropriate entries to the configuration and then when I tried to start the Service it loaded up just fine.

I can then use a 'ssh svc-ukinsight@servername' command and once i've got past the initial warning message (which only appears the first time) then I provide a password and it works just fine.

If I try to issue a simple 'dir' command using HPSIM I get an error saying 'SSH public key authentication failed'. Now this suggests that it won't even use a login/password to connect but will, instead, use certificate keys - and if that's the case then i'm guessing I need to do more so that the HPSIM Server and the other Servers know each others keys. Unfortunately I seem unable to find documentation about how this should be done.

Can someone please give me some pointers as to how we should be configuring SIM?

Thanks
1 REPLY 1
Peter J West
Frequent Advisor

Re: More Questions about OpenSSH

I managed to track down a white paper which has helped me resolve the issue. For the sake of clarity here's what i've done.

1) I found that there was a log file under \var\log which the new service account couldn't clear out and thus the Service would not start. Once I deleted the file it started up just fine.

2) I deleted the group file from \etc as I only want to grant permissions to the service account.

3) I deleted passwd and then used 'mkpasswd -u svc-ukinsight -d' to recreate the file.

4) Most importantly. I used the 'mxglobalsettings -s WindowsAdminUserName=Domain\svc-ukinsight' command to change the account it uses to execute the SSH commands.

5) Do an 'mxagentconfig' command against each of the Servers.

Once i'd done these steps it all seems to work quite well. :)