6202 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Move SIM 5.0 SQL Database to another SQL Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ben Chan

Move SIM 5.0 SQL Database to another SQL Server

Hi all, I have a SIM 5.0 installation with the SIM services and the Insight_V50_xxxx database running in the same server. I wanted to move the Insight_V50_xxxx database to another SQL server, I followed the steps outlined in http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00850055/c00850055.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN.
But since my target is not to migrate the CMS but just the database, what I did was migrate the database from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005, change the ODBC settings, and hoping it will redirect the connection to the new SQL 2005 database. However, it wasn't successful. It looks like some other settings still restrict the database connection to the local database server. Does anyone know how I can make the change and connection to a remote SQL server?
Thanks in advance
10 REPLIES 10
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I had real fun moving our VMware Virtual Centre database from a SQL2000 to SQL2005 server. The ownership and user issues are really problematic.

You might want to try installing HPSIM somewhere else and letting it create the database on the new server. It will create it with a new name. You can then use that as the template to compare the various ownership options. e.g. with the schema etc.
Ben Chan

Hi Rob,
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I am wondering if there's a easier way out from this situation. Instead of compairing schema, do you know if I can export my configuration from the old database and import to the new database?

Thank you.
Ben Chan

Dear all,
I have tried some more things.
I have removed the ODBC connections named Insight_V50_0_xxxx and PMP_V3_0 that I supposed was going to establish database connections for me, turns out these ODBC settings were not needed.
My SIM web interface runs fine without it.
It makes me more convinced there's something I can change within the configuration files to change the target SQL server.
Browsing more I found in C:\program files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\config to have some files starting with database*.*
especially dadtabaseadmin.tpl . Can anyone here confirm with me these are the files I should change?
Thank you.
Aravindh Rajaram
Honored Contributor

database.admin and database.props are the files to be edited with appropriate values. HP SIM service should be restarted after changing the values.

I hope there is no DB password change involved. If yes, you have to do some additional steps.
Ben Chan

Hi,
Can you be more specific on where to change database passwords?
Do you know if there's some document available to do what I want to do?
Thank you.
RolandSer
Solution

Well I just finished moving the DB's from one SQL 2005 server to another SQL2005 server and discoved that you have to modify both the database.admin, and database.prop, as well as change the ODBC connections. Doing one without changing the other two doesn't work.

Roland
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Make sure you change the password in your ODBC connection. You will need to go into control panel and select ODBC connections and find the HP SIM connection and create and modify your existing connection and then it will authenticate your account for you.
stefano colombo_1
Super Advisor

Hi All ,
I have the same problem with moving the DB .
I Moved the DB from local SQL2005Express( 32bit) to SQL2005 ENT X64.
Changed the ODBC
Changed the two files .prop

but still got the following error on the CMS
Event Type: Error
Event Source: HP Systems Insight Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3
Date: 7/17/2008
Time: 11:22:00 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SSEUMG00
Description:
com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error loading database verification handler 'com.hp.mx.database.MsSqlVerificationHandler'
com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error accessing database

can anyone help me with it
thanks
stefano colombo_1
Super Advisor

Hi ,
I found what the problem was in my case.
Since we're migrating to a SQL2005 clustered server with multiple instances , but I think it would be the same with a non clustered env, the port the instance is listening to is dynamic and not , in any case , the standard 1433 .

Changing the port to static , in SQL instance , and set it in the .props files solved the issue

HTH to others people
Stefano