Did you mean: 

Moving old HPSIM5 to HPSIM5.1SP1

SOLVED
Go to solution
sgaucher
Occasional Contributor

Moving old HPSIM5 to HPSIM5.1SP1

Hi,

I try to find some information regarding the possibility to do a fresh installation of HPSIM because the older one has a lot of problem. At the same time we upgrade to version 5.1 SP1 with a SQL 2005. Actually, we have version 5.0 with a SQL 2000.

My biggest concern will be the VCA interaction. A lot of them will already be into the older SIM and by creating a new one I will be afraid to don't be able to talk to them anymore!

Amy one has already doing that? I have arround 600 servers in the field! So I don't want to go on each one and more important, we don't want to have a big down time during the switch between the version!

Regards,

Steve
3 REPLIES
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Moving old HPSIM5 to HPSIM5.1SP1

Steve:

You can set up your instance of HP SIM 5.1 SP1 on a new server and once operational the easiest thing to do would be to use 'Configure or Repair Agents' to enable trust by certificate, get the trap destinations set, etc. 'Configure or Repair Agents' uses operating system security (as in a domain administrator account that all the systems are part of) to make these changes on the remote system. Then you can use a 'Replicate Agent Settings' tag to set the details like which VCRM to reference, etc.

No visiting each individual server and you have the added benefit of running your HP SIM 5 installation in parallel for as long as you want until comfortable turning it off.
sgaucher
Occasional Contributor

Great thanks for this answers. But what about the certificate. Do I think if I recreate a new CA into this SIM will be correct for each VCA?

But thanks, this is clarify some thinking at the top of my head!

Best regards,
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

The new HP SIM installation will have to have a new certificate, whether the self-signed one that is created during installation or you use a CSR to create a PKCS certificate from your preferred signing authority. 'Configure or Repair Agents' will distribute the new certificate and set the agents to trust it in addition to the first HP SIM instance.