Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753773 Members
5548 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multiple Email messages - where to start troubleshooting?

Alan Doran
Advisor

Mike,

Do you know where I could get this patch?
4,000 + e-mails every night is driving me crazy.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Alan.
Mike Kanakos_1
Advisor

Alan;

The absolute first thing that you must do is open a case with HP. Let them work with you for a little bit but ask to escalate it.

The patch I was given is a beta and who knows if it will work the same on your system.

Let HP make sure that this is the same issue first. The HP support team was very helpful. The person I dealt with posts on this board all the time.

I am sure if you open a case and it gets escalated. You will get it resolved.

Keep posting here with details. I would like to know what is happening.
Guido Koetter
Frequent Advisor

Hello Mike,

is there a chance to post this patch? I opened a case here in germany several weeks ago where the support was only a redirection to the irish (european?) support-center. It did'nt help.

Greetings

Guido
Alan Doran
Advisor

Mike,

Have opened a case with HP. It has been escalated.

I will keep updating this thread as I find out more.

Rgds
Al.
Mike Kanakos_1
Advisor

Guido;

I can't post the patch here because of size limiltations.

Email me
michael.kanakos@olympus.com

We'll talk seperately.
Mike Kanakos_1
Advisor

Gentlemen;

I am glad to see a buzz generated from my posts. However, I am getting some people emailing me directly, hoping to get the patch.

I am more than happy to help - that's why i post here; but let's be smart about this.

If this is a widespread issue, HP needs to know about it. I urge you to call HP and open cases. In the past I have referenced the threads on this forum to help HP techs with acknoweldgement of issues.

The HP techs were very helpful with me and I think now that more people are calling on related issues, the turnaround time to get a fix should be much shorter than what i had to go through.

Please - follow the process... it frustrating, but it makes the product better for everyone.
Jan Gunnar Heistad

Hi All

I assume this is the patch you are looking for:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/21987.html

I have one of my customer who is going to install it within the end of the week. So I have no confirmation if this works or not but I assume this will fix the problem with e-mail spam. I will update this tread when I have got some feedback from my customer.

Best Regards
JGH
HP EMEA ISS Competency Center
Alan Doran
Advisor

Hello all,

Recieved the patch from HP last week. It's a bug in HP SIM 4.1 & will be included in V4.2:

"If an HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM) Automatic Event Handling task is configured to Send e-mail or Send page as the action on event and the task is subsequently Disabled and then Enabled, all the previous (old) events are resent. This could potentially amount to hundreds of e-mails and/or pager messages being sent to the designated recipients (an e-mail / pager message "storm").
Note: This may also occur (intermittently) when an Automatic Event Handling Task is edited. "

Installed patch on friday & am in the process of testing. So far, so good. No mail storm yet. I will continue testing over the next few days & update with results.

Rgds
Al.
Lobmeyer

This problem still exists in 4.2. I just went through several iterations of email storms. The first storm was 1 mailing of the historic 65000 events. The second was 4 mailings of the 65,000 events. This was not fun. It dismounted my stores because it blew out the disk space for the logs and everything else on my exchange 2K3 server. Yesterday was a fun morning. Extending drives so that I could mount the stores so that I could do backups to reduce the log files and then start deleting messages.

Then you get stuck with the outlook behavoir of limiting you to 4000 emails per delete. When you have 240,000+ emails in your inbox this takes a very long time!