108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multiple IP addresses to a machine

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nathan Shiffman
Advisor

Multiple IP addresses to a machine

I have a situation where 4 specific machines seem to have some conflicting info somewhere. When I manually add 1 machine from this group, it appears correctly in the SIM console. However, once I add one of the other boxes, it appears with all 4 IP addresses and the other machine does not appear anymore in the console. I assume there is a DNS conflict somewhere but I could not find any.
Has anyone seen this type of behaviour before?
Is there a master list that I can check and modify manually?
Thanks in advance,
Nathan
9 REPLIES 9
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

I have not faced this kind of issue, but if you do feel that this could be a DNS issue then a good place to make some changes would be your host file found under C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
on your SIM server.

hope this helps,

Albert
Nathan Shiffman
Advisor

Thanks, I checked that host file but its a general file that I can add. Does SIM have a host file with all the machines in it that can be modified (on the file itself as opposed to modifying the console)?
Thanks
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

I dont believe so, SIM does not do any DNS checks on its own it is the DNS client that does the job for SIM. And first location the client checks is the host file.

Albert
SCC-Colin
Advisor
Solution

We had this problem when we imaged servers using Rapid Deployment Pack from an existing server. The unique unit identifier was the same on all servers. This was found in the registy key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Compaq Insight Agent\Hostguid
If you delete the registry key and then reboot the server, it creates another key, which is different to the original. No more problems discovering the servers after that.
Nathan Shiffman
Advisor

Yes! That seems to have been the issue. All 4 machines had the same duplicate host GUID key. We deleted all 4 of them but only rebooted one machine and it added back to the SIM console correctly. (We will only be able to reboot the remaining machines at the end of the week).
Thanks for your help
Snikmotnairb

I have this same problem but the GUID fix doesn't seem to work, I can't find the GUID in the location specified, is there another location I should be looking? Or is there something else I should be looking for to fix this issue.
Oliver Schwank
Valued Contributor

Hello,

we are experiencing the same problem with out BL25p systems. We do not use Windows but Linux. The UUID of the systems is different, but anytime I add a specific system, it will be added to a specific other system and the iLo entry of this system in SIM 5.2SP2 + Hotfix shows both (!!) IP addresses of the iLO entries.

We checked DNS for duplicate IP addresses but did nof find anything.

Any info would be helpfully.

Oli
Rancher
Honored Contributor

We are having the same trouble with the iLOs of 4 servers that have had their system boards replaced. We have changed the serial number in the BIOS and necessary info in Sims. We add one in manually. When we add the nextt one, the first one disappears and the second one shows both IP addresses. DNS is correct. We have never heard of a solution.
Oliver Schwank
Valued Contributor

Hello,

perhaps we did find our problem.

We had the same motherboard changes and had to set the serial number again to comply to our support contracts. But as I did find out after looking extensivly on the iLO homepage under server status the UUID was empty. So I did go back into the server BIOS under Advanced and did check the serial number... serial number had been there, but the product number had been empty! This will result in an empty UUID UUID = ProductNumber + SerialNumber

After adding the product number and the reset of the iLO the UUID did show up correctly and I was able to add this server without any problems in the SIM.

Please do me a favour and check if you do not have an empty UUID in your server status page. If yes try to correct the mentioned product number.

Bye

P.S. I do not know exactly but our serial had been lowercase but I changed it to upper case only to be safe.

Oli