1752555 Members
4970 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multiple IP causes discovery problems

Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Multiple IP causes discovery problems

I've got several systems with multiple IP adresses and different names bound to the different adresses, does anyone know how I can prevent SIM from taking one of those names at "random" when displaying the servername in a query ?

For example I want the server to be shown as "Server-123" and not as "DNS-Alias-1" or "DNS-Alias-2".
13 REPLIES 13
John Stalzer
Frequent Advisor

I have two servers with multiple IP's. I just excluded the other IP's in auto discovery.
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Well, I have approx 2000 servers with over 50 different administrators spread out over a few hundred class A,B and C subnets, so I was hoping for an easier way to solve this since I have very little control over when someone might add another IP adress to a specific server ;-)
Jim Reynolds_4

I'm also having the same problem were the nodes are properly identified during discovery but then the name changes to a virutal server on my clusters. This is also breaking the ability to get a software status on the servers.
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Have you looked into if there is any way you could solve that ?

Does anyone know if there's some way to "lock" a record so that the name does not change ?
Craig McK
Trusted Contributor

Hiya,

I found binding the SMH to a specific IP on the cluster helped:
settings -> system management homepage -> security ->ip binding

After enabling that it stopped picking up the CNAME addresses
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Ah, good idea I will try that one, however I'm not having only (MSCS-)clusters, I'm also having Veritas-clusters (which SIM does not recognize and so causes data corruption in the SIM database every time they fail over and SIM detects a node change), NLB-clusters (which does not seem to give me any problems), and simple multi-IP-systems, where one IP is used for the "real" machine, and additional IP's are used for example for separate websites or specific application needs, these also go bananas whenever SIM discovers the additional IP's.
But I'll check up if IP binding will help, though I can't say it will make life much happier if it does consideing the number of monitored devices to configure, still thanks for the idea :-)
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Hmm, this may be a stupid question but should I need to boot the machine for this to work ?

I enabled IP binding on one machine and now it won't show the SMH except via the localhost interface, it said it only required restarting the SMH but I can't access the SMH remotely via the adress I specified in the binding ?
Craig McK
Trusted Contributor

You shouldn't need to reboot - I just restarted the SMH.

I'm trying to look at this just now, but have just updated to SP4 and haven't reset the path as per the previous post =)
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Ok, well, seems I either did something wrong or I don't quite understand what the problem is, since I disabled the IP binding and restarted the SMH and it still won't respond except via localhost. Doesn't seem too reliable to me ?