1753972 Members
8238 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Multiple SIM Consoles

trickle10

Multiple SIM Consoles

Hello all--
We currently have 2 separate 3 tier environments with a management cage in each environment. We are putting a SIM server in each cage and I was wondering if there is a way to manage everything from one console rather than three. Does anybody have any experience or suggestions for this type of configuration?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Multiple SIM Consoles

We have a DR and Live environment. At DR I have configured HPSIM to just see the DR Servers. Here I've configured HPSIM to see all Servers.

I'm not too sure what you mean by a Management Cage. I don't understand why you cannot just use a single HPSIM console. Are there firewalls etc. between the "cages"?

HPSIM access can work across firewalls etc. poroviding the right pinholes are pushed through.
trickle10

We have a 3 tier DMZ and it is not within security boundaries to open ports from the core network all the way into the public facing web tier (even SSH). So we have a management environment where we are supposed to send all traffic going in and out of the DMZ environment. Essentially we need to setup two additional Insight servers (one in each datacenter) that will get the reporting from the agents in all DMZ environments. We are planning on forwarding the traps into the core but I was wondering about the rest of the reporting (serial numbers, model, etc.) and was wondering if those could also be forwarded to the core Insight server. We would rather be able to view that information from one console rather than 3.

Thanks

trickle10
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

With the isolation you have, I'd say not easily.

Note that most of the detail you seem to be after is held in HPSIM's SQL Database, so you could pull together that information. But again, you'd need some access between the tiers for the different queries.
trickle10

Is there a way to link the consoles?
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Currently, there is no way to link consoles in HP SIM. The reason has to do with cost. HP SIM is free from HP and that would be added functionality that they could provide if you were willing to pay for it. I have been asking this question for quite sometime as we have a very diverse network and having a single SIM server is not practical, but being able to pull all the information from the servers to one place would be.

From my conversations with HP it might be something available in the future, but I don't think it will be free.