1753856 Members
7434 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multiple Windows in HP SIM

cybacaT
Occasional Contributor

Multiple Windows in HP SIM

I'm yet to dip my toe in the water wrt playing with HP SIM - still just examining a list of shortcomings I've heard identified with the product(and hopefully dispelling them!).

One of the complaints I've heard about HP SIM compared to IBM Director is that Director offers you a native-mode run. One of the advantages of which is that you can open many windows. ie. you can open the main console, then click a server and a new window appears. you can then click performance reports and a new window appears. Thus you can go back and then select the original window and explore another server.

Now to me this appears to be unfair criticism, because surely in HP SIM you can simply use "Open in another Window" for each click and achieve the same results. Is this the case, or are there other implications I'm not aware of?
3 REPLIES 3
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Hey there,

From my testing, "Open in new window" does not work very well with SIM. Basically, it uses a lot of Javascript stuff that when you try that, it does not work as you would expect (for example - url: javascript:MyDrillDown('DrillDownType-DeviceName','10').

So I would say the critism is correct - SIM cannot open multiple windows except when you do something like open the system management page of a managed node - which is does do.

Nelson
cybacaT
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Nelson. This is what I've found in testing myself, and it's a real shame because it's so handy(saves a lot of time) to have a range of windows open at the same time. I'll keep toying around and let the forum know if I find a way around this problem.
cybacaT
Occasional Contributor

There are some solutions to this problem.
When using HPSIM, open about 6 management windows, then drill down into where you want to go.

I tried bookmarking pages, but no joy...