108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NIC Info Shown on Report

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott McClelland
Occasional Advisor

NIC Info Shown on Report

When I run a report, some of the NIC information is not displayed. I noticed that the field is NULL in the database, so apparently it is not collecting the information. (Both "DHCP Enabled", and "Interface State" are blank)

This is how I run the report:

Report / Network Interface - Servers (or any new report) / Edit / Select "Network Interface", add the check box "DHCP Enabled"

Then I looked at some of the server SNMP settings (Control Panel, HP Management Agents), and I noticed that two items call "NIC Information" were on the "Inactive Agents" side. Could this be why the data is not being collected?

Can you think of anything else I can try to gather the information from all servers? I am trying to find any servers that have DHCP configured. I know I can use a VBscript to get the info through WMI, but I prefer to get it from SIM if possible, so it will always be in the database.

6 REPLIES 6
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

"Then I looked at some of the server SNMP settings (Control Panel, HP Management Agents), and I noticed that two items call "NIC Information" were on the "Inactive Agents" side. Could this be why the data is not being collected?"

Yes, that definitely could be the cause.
Scott McClelland
Occasional Advisor

I added the "NIC Information", and ran another Hardware Discovery, but the information still does not show up. Is there another way to gather the information with SIM?
Scott McClelland
Occasional Advisor

The problem still exists after upgrading to SIM 4.2, and running the bi-weekly data collection report.

I created a new report called "NIC Test", where I selected all checkboxes under "Network Interface." The fields "Interface Name", "Subnet Mask", "Broadcast Address", "Interface State", & "DHCP Enabled" are completely blank.
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Is it an original HP NIC ? I have a problem with a 3Com NIC in a Proliant 800 that is not recognized by NIC agent. This card was added after the original one failed (I think). If the NIC agent was inactive, it is I suppose because the NIC was not recognized.
Scott McClelland
Occasional Advisor

Good point, but some information about the NIC does show up. I will check the NICs and the PSP versions, but most servers are standard Proliant DL servers with built-in NIC, and fairly recent PSPs. I would think that one in 500 servers would show more information about the NIC, but none of them show DHCP information.
Mark Hickey

Did anyone ever find a solution for this?