Server Management - Systems Insight Manager

Re: NSLOOKUP works, but IP still showing as system name

 
Sean Murray_1
Regular Advisor

NSLOOKUP works, but IP still showing as system name

When doing a lookup, I can resolve both name to IP and vice versa.
But about 7 servers are not showing up by their name, but rather their IP address.
Tried removing one and adding again, but no dice.
Any ideas?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Tom Maher
Occasional Advisor

Re: NSLOOKUP works, but IP still showing as system name

I'm having the same problem Sean and even got one of our network chaps to remove all reverse lookup PTR records from DNS and put them back in again (he loved me for that) but still no joy.
Rich Krejsa
New Member

Re: NSLOOKUP works, but IP still showing as system name

I am also having the same problem. I have checked DNS and have not found any problems. Deleting the record does not help, because it comes back the same way.
Jon Haworth
Honored Contributor

Re: NSLOOKUP works, but IP still showing as system name

ipconfig /flushdns ?
Sean Murray_1
Regular Advisor

Re: NSLOOKUP works, but IP still showing as system name

Tried flushing. Then got DCOM errors like mad such as:
"DCOM got error "Class not registered " from the computer dwnt1.sherwin.com when attempting to activate the server"
and
"DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer using any of the configured protocols."
But I can ping the machines in each error and use NSLOOKUP both ways.
So, now to figure this mess out.
Iain Nicholson
Occasional Contributor

Re: NSLOOKUP works, but IP still showing as system name

One thing I did to fix this (though not pretty) was to add the servers into the HOSTS file on the server as the names you want it to appear as. Then delete the servers and re-add them and see if they are named properly.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: NSLOOKUP works, but IP still showing as system name

I'm not sure where it happens but I believe one of the identification processes updates the info on the IM screen.

Make sure the DNS is correct, both forward and reverse lookups. Check that you're not having one return a sub-domain, e.g. looking up 10.10.10.10 might return server.ad.mycompany.com but you're just doing a lookup of server.mycompany.com to compare.

Then allow the various discovery / identification processes to go through. I've got all my devices recognised and we have a mixture of AD and Unix based DNS which offers loads of variety for confusion. I've not had to resort to using a local hosts file, I've found that tends to cause more problems later on, e.g. you click on the device link and cannot get to the page.