4425 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Name Resolution Hell

Tusc
Advisor

Name Resolution Hell

Grrr... this is driving me nuts.

I am running SIM 5.1. We have hundreds of unknown and unmanaged devices which show up as IP only. Now, I know the name for most and figured out how to add the systems via mxnode. Adding the systems via the mxnode command works great. The systems are added, and the IP updates to the server name. Problem is, on discovery, the name is whacked and the system reverts back to IP.. LOL

Any workaround to this?

5 REPLIES 5
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Tusc,

Configure/Repair Agent will do the trick;

Regards,
James.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

No, James is wrong, CRA has nothing to do with this. HP SIM uses DNS exclusively for name resolution. You have a problem with your DNS. If you can't resolve this with your network admin, you can use a local hosts file to override.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

David, I thought this will work; Not sure if I recall it right, but I had an issue with IP address showing up, & CRA helped.
May be I am wrong.

Regards,
James.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

As David has noted DNS does name resolution. You can manually add names but you're better off getting DNS sorted.
As for the "Unknown / Unmanaged" these can be resolved by SNMP in most cases to get you started. UnManaged means HPSIM hasn't been able to see any protocol it can use to interrogate the server, UnKnown means it found a protocol but couldn't use it - e.g. snmp but the HPSIM Server wasn't an allowed host or the community name was wrong.
Tusc
Advisor

Thanks. So basically adding the systems to DNS and running a new discovery should resolve my woes? :)