Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752590 Members
3050 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Need more detailed information about how HP SIM communicates with target systems

smamm
Occasional Advisor

Need more detailed information about how HP SIM communicates with target systems

I'm in the process of configuring an existing (neglected) HP SIM 6.2 installation, and task #1 is to ensure that the necessary ports needed for bidirectional communications between the CMS and "managed systems"  are open.

I found the needed ports (2 for SNMP, 1 for secure web agent, and 1 for secure WBEM), but am also required to provide detailed information about how SIM communicates both during Discovery and during the ongoing management of configured systems.   For example,  what protocols are used (UDP, TCP, etc), which interfaces (standard, iLO, etc), and how often?

I've been digging around the HP site, but haven't been able to track down a white paper that provides this level of detail.   I went through the user guides, but didn't see this information included.

Does anyone know where I can find this information?

2 REPLIES 2
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Re: Need more detailed information about how HP SIM communicates with target systems

Hi,

Maybe you can start with this document:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00210041/c00210041.pdf

Initially it was in the Information Library list of HP SIM but since some time it dissapeared... Mr Google helps you find it... And the forums off course... ;-)

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Most of the info can be found amongst the docs listed in:

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/infolibrary.html

See the doc, listed towards the bottom about managing HP SIm though a firewall - IIRC that covers all of the ports used.