5563 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NetApp FAS3040HA

Stefan John
Occasional Advisor

NetApp FAS3040HA

Hi,

there is a problem integrating a FAS3040HA into HP SIM: although pingable from SIM management station the storage is not visible in SIM GUI - even not as native network device (discovered via ping). The only NetApp devices SIM is displaying are the RLM interfaces...? I also reinstalled SIM, deleted the whole inventory and tried to rediscover but nothing helps. By the way: all other devices in the network segment are properly shown (VMware, HP Blades, Cisco Switches, etc.).

Does anybody know anything about that issue :-)?
Believing in miracles can solve many, many problems.
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: NetApp FAS3040HA

I think you're asking a bit much of HPSIM. It's a free product from HP for managing HP gear.
It can see HP SAN's, Servers etc. because it's designed to do that.
It can see VMware stuff via the HP Host Servers. It can ID switches as they're typically just using SNMP and send SNMP Traps when there are issues.
You've gone out and bought a non-HP array. If it has SNMP and can send SNMP Traps then you may be able to do some management of it. But if you want HPSIM to integrate with the NetApp Management tool then you may be out of luck unless NetApp provide something.
Stefan John
Occasional Advisor

Hi Bob,

Of course you`re right. But first of all I just want to see the NetApp Filer as pingable network device - not in deep as storage device. SIM should be able to do so - or not?
Stefan John
Occasional Advisor

Sorry: not Bob - Rob ;-)
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

HPSIM can ping it, so it should detect something is there providing it gets a response. Not sure what part of the NetApp would respond to the ping though.
Just try pinging that device from the HP SIM Server and see if you get a response.
Then just Discover that device.
Also make sure you don't have filters enabled as unknown devices may not display.