New Discussion

Netware Server generates "Generic Unregistered" event on Novell Netware Servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andreas Schier
Occasional Advisor

Netware Server generates "Generic Unregistered" event on Novell Netware Servers

Hi All,

We are monitoring Novell Netware 6.0 Servers in the Insight Manager. After setting up all SNMP parameters, we are reveiving alerts events if anything goes wrong. At this point all right. But 10 times per minute we receive also events with following text:

Event Name: Generic Unregistered
Event originator: fs-dus-05-sp1
Event Severity: Informational
Event received: 28-Jul-2006, 14:40:11

Event description: A genericUnregistered trap signifies that a system has sent a trap to the management server for a MIB that has not yet been compiled. Try compiling any MIBs from the vendor for this system to obtain additional information. See Details for more information.

cpqGenEntOIDStr: 1.3.6.1.4.1.23.2.73
cpqGenTrapID: 6
cpqSpecTrapID: 4

Does anybody knows what i have to to ? I read something i have to compile a mib because the server should be unregistered. It seems to be very difficuilt.

Thanks for information.

Andreas
1 REPLY 1
Lars Nilsson_1
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Netware Server generates "Generic Unregistered" event on Novell Netware Servers

Hi Andreas

The easiest way to get rid of unregistrated events is to uncheck the box "Accept unregistrated events". (You find it in HPSIM at Options > Events > Event Filter Settings...)

The events you see come from Novell License Server. I don't know the exact meaning, but a wild guess would be that you have run out of licenced connections. (Maybe you can see something at the NetWare server console).

If you want these events to show up in HPSIM with some meaningful text, you have to compile and register the mib NLSTRAP.MIB into HPSIM.

It's NLSTRAP.NLM that is responsible for sending these traps, and to stop getting the unwanted messages, edit the SYS:ETC\NLSTRAP.CFG file by removing the # sign from alarms that need to be stopped. After changing the CFG file unload and then reload the NLSTRAP.NLM.

Good luck /Lars