1753404 Members
7407 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New HP SIM Scripting Whitepaper available

Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

New HP SIM Scripting Whitepaper available

There is a new whitepaper now available called "Creating Custom Tool Definition Files for HP SIM" located here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00638452/c00638452.pdf

This is a cool whitepaper in the fact that it explains how to extend HP SIM in tying in your own applications, command line utilities, etc. directly into HP SIM so you can take advantage of multi-device selection, the scheduling, etc. that is part of the core application.

I know several folks have requested something like this, so hope this helps! This white paper is not yet tied into the HP SIM website (www.hp.com/go/hpsim) but will be soon.

Happy coding!
4 REPLIES 4
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Very useful...I stumbled through these processes outlined here for about a week before getting a few tools working (mumbles something profane about Netware support, Novell's migration to Linux, and HP SIM integration as a result)

Glad to have this reference now, though.
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

Just curious, were you trying to do something specific to the NetWare boxes? Gave you some points, maybe that helps? :)
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Just different functionality that exists for the linux / windows alternatives .. I was told that Novell declined to set up some XML connector or whatnot for the insight agents...basically:

Navigating to the server agent page requires a login and does not have a trust relationship. This login then requires a java applet to load, so the whole process slows down tremendously with time spent logging in.

Agent configuration - Configure the netware agents themselves 1 by 1

Get information that is not reported by preset reports, such as CPU type/speed/slot.

system management links are an extra link deep under "Links" as opposed to the main page

(Not rleated to agents themselves) but the vendor of "Netware" shows up as "Novel" Not "Novell"...minor annoyance.

Deploying files to the netware servers
(or for that matter, unrelated, but my "Upgrade firmware" for ILO custom script only executes on the first device on the list and doesn't continue if I select all management processors)

inventsekar_1
Respected Contributor

HI Darrin,
thanks s lot for the link.
i am new to SIM forum, [just entered into OV application forum]
in "Management software and system tools" forum, i found SIM is a good tool to learn(because so many guys asking questions, so the tool is good)..

keep updating like this Darrin,
i will also update when i found something new
thanks again..
Be Tomorrow, Today.