Re: New HPSIM server

matr0
Occasional Contributor

New HPSIM server

Hello guys,

Long story short - we have new HPSIM 7.6 server w2012r2

We are not doing mxexport -> import due to DB issues

We have configured the new SIM and have few questions:

- once switched the IPs of old<->new SIM, will the devices in the new SIM be still monitored by the new SIM (both IPs are in the SNMP service, (DNS reg will be forced))

- what about the certificate issued by the new SIM, is this certificate required for normal monitoring? AFAIK this certificate is used only for remote tasks and SSO?

- once the IP is changed on the new server, is there anything else beside the restart of the SIM services?

Please feel free to add anything usefull for this task :)

3 REPLIES 3
KK
HPE Pro

Hi,

For changing the IP address of SIM server, please refer and follow the document https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_kc-0105982.

If possible, decommission the old SIM server first, install the new SIM server with same IP as old SIM has.

Rediscover the devices. 

For certificates and using SSO functionality, it may require to push the new certificate to the monitored devices.

Regards,

KK

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
matr0
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I would like to better describe the situation we are in.

Old and new SIM are currently running simultaniously.  New SIM is freshly installed with new DB.

Most of the devices are already discovered in the new SIM. The idea is to swap the IP adress new -> old (old IP adress is already in the SNMP settings of all the devices, so does the community name)

Then maybe decom old SIM.

We doubt that the devices which are already in the new SIM will be stopped monitored, once the IP change is implemented?

As for the article provided, would you please clarify what does lines 2,3 and 4 mean:

2)mxreconfig -m sqlredirect -s newdbhost -b dbname -a domain\user
3)mxreconfig -m host-c oldhostname -i oldip
4) Then do a registerclient -force. 

About the SIM certificate, is there a way to push it to all the managed nodes with a single task ? 

Thank you very much for your help : )

KK
HPE Pro

Hi,

If the device is discovered in both i.e. old and new SIM servers and reporting alerts/events to both, then swapping the IP address should not affect of monitoring.

If the devices which are discovered in new SIM does not have IP of the old SIM then it is required to make changes to those devices.

Wrt to article shared, the lines 2,3 and 4 are mean to change the configuration of SIM server with its database. If these configuration changes are not carried out, the SIM would not come up with change in IP address.

As both the SIM servers are running simultaneously and as most of the devices are discovered in new SIM, recommended to keep the new SIM as it is and discover the remaining devices. For discovering the new devices, it is required to SNMP alert destination as carried out for the devices like for the devices which are already discovered.

For the SIM certificate to push on multiple managed nodes in single task, please refer https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03531008.

Regards,
KK

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo