108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Newbie Question(s)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ryan Banse
Advisor

Newbie Question(s)

First time using SIM so bear with me. Installed 5.3 today, ran a discovery, and now when I go to view All Systems from the homepage, the page is blank, there doesn't appear to be any systems showing up. Do I need to do something first? I can search on these systems just fine. Type in the IP address, and just like that, I can see the system info, etc. So why don't I see this system under All Systems? Sorry, never have used SIM before, so trying to teach myself on it. Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Not quite sure what you mean by the last part about typing in the IP address.

HP SIM on install should add and discover devices in the same subnet. Without SNMP or any other discovery access it won't be able to identify the device type.

Check in the Discovery settings that you don't have any filters enabled. To start with you want to discovery everything even if you don't know what it is.

Then you'll need to set up SNMP so that HPSIM can actually determine what the device is or use wbem credentials.

I would strongly recommend going to www.hp.com/go/hpsim, follow the link to the information library. There's some excellent start up info there and the Reference Guide is for when you've mastere the basics.
Ryan Banse
Advisor

Well, there is a search button and I typed in the starting IP address of 10.210 and it displayed about 11 devices. So a few were discovered, yet the majority were not. But even these few that were discovered are not showing up under All Systems. I made sure filtering was turned off. I guess I'll have to play around with it.
Ryan Banse
Advisor

I did notice one thing. In the requirements section, it states SQL 2005 needs to be on SP2 level. Ours is at SP1 still due to several reasons. Could this be a problem? SIM seems to be working, just certain things seem to be a little out of whack, namely, not seeing any systems under "All Systems" with no filtering turned on.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Shouldn't matter if it's working.
Under Discovery, edit the System Automatic Discovery and ensure the subnets you want are in the ping inclusion range.
Under the configure general settings link, verify the Enable discovery filters is unchecked.
Run a Discovery Task. If they're pingable then they should be picked up by HPSIM.

Are any items appearing in the All Systems Display?
Ryan Banse
Advisor

I went into the Discovery, created a new one, added just one server as a test. Ran the discovery and it seems like it went ok, yet I still do not see it under All Systems (no systems are showing up here). Turned filtering off by the way. Here is the task list for the discovery I ran...
----
Running SNMP base Cluster identification using common cluster MIB.
This was not a system with the common cluster MIBs supported.
Running HP ProLiant management agent identification
System has the SNMP ProLiant server (foundation) agents installed, adding system type.
Running HP NetServer identification.
System supports the NetServer SNMP agent, adding system type
Running HP-UX SNMP identification.
System does not have the HPUX SNMP agents installed.
Running SNMP System Type Manager identification.
No matching SNMP System Type Manager rule was found.
Checking for DMI protocol support.
The system does not have Windows DMI support.
Running DMI System Type Manager identification.
Running HP-UX DMI identification.
The system does not have HP-UX DMI support.
Running HP/Compaq Desktop identification.
Running HP DMI Desktop identification.
The system does not have HP DMI Desktop support.
Running Generic DMI identification.
The system does not have Generic DMI support.
Running SSH Protocol identification.
The SSH protocol is not supported on this system
Running SSH Identification.
SSH Protocol is not detected; skipped SSH Identification
Running Storage identification.
Did not detect WBEM support on this system. Will not attempt storage identification. If this is a storage host, check WBEM credentials and make sure the providers and CIMOM are operational on the host.
Storage identification completed.
Running HP Service Guard Identification.
Running SNMP Subtypes identification
No additional subtypes found from SNMP
Create bare-metal device nodes if OA is discovered with "Automatic Device discovery" option enabled.
Create bare-metal server node if ILO is discovered with "Automatic Server discovery" option enabled.
Checking if this system is supported by Insight Power Manager.
Insight Power Manager is not supported.
Running VM identification.
VMM is installed, but the system is not a VM Host or may not be configured in VMM
Building system relationships.
Running limited data collection for common attribute.
SMH trust status is false.
Running node communication diagnosis
System identification done with this system.
-----
When I try and do a search on this system I just ran a discovery for, the search doesn't populate for the address. When I type in the address manually, it tells me no system found. I'm lost. Possible it's a SQL permission problem? I have one user (domain admin acct) as the db owner of the database. When I drill down farther for this users permissions within the tables and such, there isn't anything checked. But should that really matter if the user is a db owner? Also, my SQL is indeed on SP2.

Thanks for all the help on this.

-Ryan
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Are you logging into HPSIM using the same account that HPSIM was installed under?

If not you may need o set up the permissions for the added user to see those devices.
Ryan Banse
Advisor

Yes, I am logging in with the same account. And I have tried many different ones just to be sure.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

That is odd. It does look like it's correctly detecting the server.
Maybe add a screenshot of the All Servers page.
You may be right,it may be a SQL issue. But I would have thought there'd be an install problem.

You could also look in the log directory, see if there's anything obvious there.

Also, you may want to try pulling down 5.3 SP1 and doing a fresh install. If the servers big enough you could also let it install SQL Express on the server itself.
Ryan Banse
Advisor

Ok, that is my next step. Uninstall and reinstall using SQL Express on the same box. Thanks.