1753479 Members
5243 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Newly discovered server is replacing previous server

PierreParis
Advisor

Newly discovered server is replacing previous server

We have more than 20 Proliant DL180 G5 to manage through HP-SIM.
Most of them are successfully "discovered" by our HP-SIM 5.2sp2. However, I have 5 servers for which the "discovery" process is having an issue:
- when discovering any first of the 5 servers, all is OK
- when discovering any of the 4 servers left, the first server is "replaced" by the newly discovered server.
- when discovering all of those 5 servers, only 1 entry is displayed in HPSIM device list with the servername = latest discovered server, but IP address = first discovered server

Looks like HPSIM "thinks" that all 5 servers are the same

Any hint how to solve this ?
thanks
10 REPLIES 10
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

Hi

Could you check if there is any DNS issues ?
Try to run the mxgethostname command on these nodes.

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/info-library51/mxgethostname.1m.html

hope it helps

fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
PierreParis
Advisor

I have checked DNS - all is OK
I have run the mxgethostname with the name of the 5 faulty servers, and returned names are all correct
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

HI

Forward and reverse DNS ? HP SIM is quite touchy on the matter...

fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
PierreParis
Advisor

yes, forward and reverse DNS are OK: PTR are showing into reverse zone as expected
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

hi again

How were these servers deployed ? what OS are they running ?

Have you tried to delete those servers from HP SIM and readd them amnually one by one ?

Are they behind a firewall ?

fred
PierreParis
Advisor

servers are running W2K3-SP2
no firewall in-between
yes, I already deleted them from HPSIM and then re-add.
Always same issue :-(
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Were these servers deployed from images? If so, did you delete the HP Agent GUID from the registry before running sysprep and create the image of your master? If not, all your images created from that master will have the same GUID and overwrite each other when added to SIM.

Nelson
PierreParis
Advisor

Hi Nelson,

What you are describing is totally correct on higher-end models of Proliant where you can install the "HP Insight Managements agents" (SNMP based).

However, in my case we are managing Proliant DL 180 models on which the "HP Insight Management agents" CANNOT be installed. We have to install the "HP Insight management WBEM provider" instead.

In that case, there is no hostGUID key in the registry. (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Compaq Insight Agent is non existing)

Is there another information in registry or files which is being used to identify uniquely the server?
PierreParis
Advisor

I get replied by HP tech support. And here is the detailed solution:
on Proliant DL100 series, the GUID used to uniquely identify a server in HPSIM is provided by the UUID which is stored in the server NVRAM (or BIOS). Normally this UUID should be unique across all servers. However, we get some servers with a "non unique" UUID of the form "00112233445566778899aabbccddeeff"
As multiple servers were having the same UUID, HPSIM was seeing all those servers as a single server with mutiple IP addresses.

To solve that issue, you have to manually change the UUID on the affected servers. To change the UUID, you need to follow steps described at

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1163831&swItem=MTX-f6341f59fca449ea9a0b930245&mode=3